Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm scared - is this what I should do first? >

I'm scared - is this what I should do first?

I'm scared - is this what I should do first?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Is there a "Quilting for Dummies" book?
Yes, but you don't need to spend your money. Everything you ever wanted to know about quilting can be learned/found here.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:40 PM

guess why?
Old 01-04-2010, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
Originally Posted by amma
Personally, I would not wash the sashing or border or backing fabric if you are using 5" squares that have not been washed... I think it would cause a bigger problem when you launder it the first time.

I would sew on the vertical sashing first, so that you can sew the blocks into horizontal rows. Then you can cut sashing strips that run the whole length of the row, instead of individual pieces.(
I totally agree with this advice.

Great advice.

Eliminating cornerstones from the sashing will make the quilt easier to assemble. To guarantee that the blocks will line up if you are not using cornerstones, I advise doing the following.

Sew a sashing strip to one horizontal row. Turn it over and, using a pencil and ruler, mark the wrong side of the long sashing strip at all the seams lines. In other words, draw a pencil line across the wrong side of the sashing exactly as if there were going to be cornerstones.

When you go to attach your next horizontal line of blocks to this sashing, pin the seams of the new row to the pencil lines on the sashing. This will guarantee that your blocks will line up.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
I'm so afraid to start cutting! Is there a "Quilting for Dummies" book?
Yes, there is! :D I've read a lot of the books for beginning quilters, but I haven't read "Quilting for Dummies." I saw it at the library, but it didn't have enough pictures to satisfy me. I can recommend:

"Quilter's Academy Vol. 1: Freshman Year" by Harriet Hargrave I haven't actually read this yet, but I've read Harriet's other books and she's excellent. Someone else on the QB bought this and recommended it, too.

"The Quilting Bible" created by the editors of Creative Publishing International
I bought this book after getting it out from the library because it has a LOT of pictures and I thought it was one of the most understandable books for a beginner. The quilts included aren't especially pretty, but there are other projects besides quilts such as table runners, a quilted jacket, a quilted vest, a sleeping bag, a baby bunting, and a couple of tote bags. I didn't buy it for the projects though, but to learn the basics of quilting.

"Your First Quilt Book (or it should be!)" by Carol Doak This one is also good.

If you go to Amazon and pull up any of these books, Amazon will recommend similar books and you can browse to your heart's content to see which ones might be best for you. I like it when they let you "look inside the book." I used Amazon to figure out which books I thought would be good, then I got them from my library.

There's a wealth of knowledge on the QB, of course, as well as other internet sites. Even so, I'm the type of person who likes to hold a book and read, especially when there are lots of pictures when reading about something like learning to quilt. I think a book makes it easier, especially when I need to read a section over and over to completely understand it. :roll: I also tend to get distracted when I'm trying to learn how to do something while online, it's too easy to click the links and go somewhere else.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:45 PM

You know, I actually do already have a couple of quilting books :oops: , but it's still kind of a foreign language to me. I keep trying to tell myself that it's just like my journey into soapmaking - in the beginning it was all foreign - and even scary! Now it's old hat. So I know I need to jump in to start to fully understand what's what. But right now, I'm having trouble figuring out how exactly to do that! Besides growing a fabric stash I mean - I've already been starting that! :lol:

And as far as the cornerstones, my heart is kinda set on that splash of color mixed in the black. I even picked out a brightly colored/matching fabric to do the binding with. I guess I just need a "step 1" "step 2" etc - more than what I've seen in the quilting books I have. I will just do more searching here - and then asking!

Thanks for all your help - you have all been great!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:51 PM

Personally, I wash all fabric first. If you are giving an I Spy quilt to a child, you would want all the chemicals and sizing washed out before they use it.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:26 PM

if you decided to use the corner blocks ( I think they are WAY cute) then how I would recomend stitching them together is blocks at a time and not strips. strips are harder to get lined up and more of a pain to unpick! even with the sashing it can be difficult to line up!

take your Ispy square and sew a black strip to it, then take your corner square and sew it to the end of another black strip. then sew the small square/strip to the top of the large square/strip.

do this with each Ispy block, lay them out to make sure your pattern matches up ok, then sew two together, then two more, then those two to make four, and so on... you will need to sew more on at some point for one side and the bottom, but that will be easier after you start getting the hang of how they need to go together.

at least thats how I do it, I hope it makes sense.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:31 PM

There is a quilting for dummies book but its so much better to come here and get real advice from REAL quilters!! And fun too! I never wash my quality fabric prior to quilting and never ever small pieces. They would be a huge mess after they got out of the machine.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

I usually don't wash first. After the quilt is done I wash and I love the crinkly look of the quilt.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 PM

Thank you Deranged Damsel - I printed that off. It actually clicked in my brain, although I'm sure once I start that I will have more questions.