Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm scared - is this what I should do first? >

I'm scared - is this what I should do first?

I'm scared - is this what I should do first?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
You know, I actually do already have a couple of quilting books :oops: , but it's still kind of a foreign language to me. I keep trying to tell myself that it's just like my journey into soapmaking - in the beginning it was all foreign - and even scary! Now it's old hat. So I know I need to jump in to start to fully understand what's what. But right now, I'm having trouble figuring out how exactly to do that! Besides growing a fabric stash I mean - I've already been starting that! :lol:

And as far as the cornerstones, my heart is kinda set on that splash of color mixed in the black. I even picked out a brightly colored/matching fabric to do the binding with. I guess I just need a "step 1" "step 2" etc - more than what I've seen in the quilting books I have. I will just do more searching here - and then asking!

Thanks for all your help - you have all been great!
You can also get many quilting magazines with "basic instructions" sections in them every month. Although they are pretty basic, they are a very good start. Also you can find some good instructions written into quilt patterns in those magazines, along with many pictures. They are cheaper than buying books....also, many web sites with good instructions. About.com has a quilting section with excellent tutorials and instructions sections.

Good luck, and just keep going. You'll get better faster than you think!! ;-)
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 AM

GOOD! you know... remember as you learn it will get easier and your work will look better, be patient with yourself.

and dont worry about the wash/dont wash thing right now, I think when your learning there is no right/wrong way to wash/dont wash just sew your quilt and enjoy every minute :)

if you do decide to wash, do you have a zippered bag for delicates? it would help when dealing with those small pieces you have.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 AM

Ok - how do I deal with this -- I bought some red flannel to use for the backing (this I spy is for the car so I wanted it to be warm) -- and I tested it in the hot water and it turned pink. :evil: So I will definitely wash that first, but does that mean that I will now NEED to wash the top fabric or will it still be ok not to?
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Naturalmama
Ok - how do I deal with this -- I bought some red flannel to use for the backing (this I spy is for the car so I wanted it to be warm) -- and I tested it in the hot water and it turned pink. :evil: So I will definitely wash that first, but does that mean that I will now NEED to wash the top fabric or will it still be ok not to?
I wouldn't. I would just wash the flannel. Be aware that occasionally a fabric (especially a red) will never stop bleeding dye. You need to test the fabric again after washing and drying. It has to go through the washer without pink water to be safe.

If this fabric is a bad "bleeder", you may be able to save it by washing in Retayne. Quilt shops that cater to dyers carry it, and it is widely available online. Retayne sets dye into fabric. For this reason you *never* want to use it on a finished quilt (could set a bleed); however, it is very useful on those rare occasions when a fabric won't stop bleeding.

Flannel is the one fabric that I routinely prewash and dry twice before using. This is because flannel can shrink so much. Not all flannels shrink badly. If the flannel comes out of the wash the same size, I don't bother to wash again; if it has obviously shrunk, though, I wash and dry it twice. Flannel is the only cotton fabric I know that can have this shrinkage problem. Regular quilting cottons don't shrink enough to give me any concern, which is why I don't make extra work by prewashing them.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:31 AM

Good - I will put it in the washer now and hope. I'm pretty sure I have some synthropol on hand so I can use that if it continues to bleed. I should've thought before I bought red. :-P