Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm In Shock...

Yesterday I finished the FMQ on a baby blanket I made using leftover blocks from the prayer quilt I made for my friend. I had 25 blocks I didn't use in my friend's quilt, which made a perfect little 31" square baby blanket. I used Warm and White cotton batting for the first time. It was thin and so it quilted easily. Then I put the binding on and finished it and popped it in the washer. When I got it out of the dryer it had SHRUNK from a 31" square to a 28" square! Or maybe 28.5"... I knew it would shrink some, but this is nearly 10 percent shrinkage! It looks so small. The batting box said to expect, I think, 1% shrinkage, and the paper instructions that come with the batting say there is NO shrinkage with Warm and White. I'm shocked at how small it came out of the dryer!

Is this your experience with Warm and White? Are you getting close to 10" shrinkage?

I will post pics of the baby quilt in the Pictures thread, but here's a preview...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If you didn't prewash your fabric, that may be the cause. I always prewash.

I actually really like the crinkly look, but I'm going to be watching this because I am quilting a baby quilt this weekend with Warm & White. You're right, the package says up to 3% shrinkage, which should have been less than an inch.

Your quilt is still very adorable, I like the flowers you quilted :)

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have never measured before and after washing. I love the look when the quilt shrinks some. It gives it an "old quilt" look that I really like.

Blog Entries
    I never prewash and I love the crinkled look that the shrinking does. I love the looks of your quilt. I would not be disappointed in the results you got. Beautiful quilt.

It sure looks nice a snuggly.

I wash 95% of my fabrics and the backing before assembling.
    The fat quarters are not pre-shrunk and I do not wash my battings before quilting.

I always wash the quilt after the binding is secured. This works for me.

Blog Entries
    Did you friend's prayer quilt shrink any? I've only used warm and natural. If I preshrink my fabric, the quilt comes out slightly puckery. If I don't pre shrink the fabric, the batting and fabric seem to shrink at about the same rate and is less wrinkled.

I love your quilt. I always use Warm & Natural and love it. I always wash my fabric prior to cutting and never wash my batting prior to quilting. I like to look after washing. Sorry you are disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    If you didn't prewash your fabric, that may be the cause. I always prewash.
    It was all prewashed. And I've never had plain fabric shrink anywhere near 10%...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast