Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm so upset I could cry

I didn't use a walking foot on mine and had no problems had to pull a little to get it started.

I have to wait for christmas for my walking foot because mine was broke too. I make several bow tucks with out it. They turned out fine and didn't have a problem sewing them. I just took my time and went slower.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for your troubles. Hugs coming your way!

I don't know what kind of machine you have, but any walking foot breakage or problems I've heard about have always seemed to be with "generic" feet. I know they're more expensive, but you should really consider the foot made by and for your machine.

What machine do you have?

FYI- when my walking foot broke the repair man said it was from using it on thick fabric (like bags). He said it isn't meant for using like that. When I make my bags (50 or so per year) I never use the walking foot. I've found that the most important thing is a good needle, even a jeans needle if the fabric is really thick.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I was working my my nieces bow tuck bag this evening and my walking foot broke :( My machine seizes with the foot attached. I took the foot apart thinking it needed to be cleaned but there are so many little pieces and I think I lost a couple little pieces and now I can't get it back together. I'm so sad. I have to order a new one now and there are no local shops that carry accessories for my machine so I have to order it online...

I just needed to vent...I think I'll go cry and bury my walking foot in the backyard :(
    Jennifer, I can't relate with the foot breakage but I would go with the free motion darning foot. Sounds like the most logical.
    Good Luck with the bag, have faith, you can do it!

My heart goes out to you, I couldn't live without mine.

I used a 1/4" foot for making my Bow Tucks purses and I used double sided prequilted fabric on mine also. Joanns seel a generic walking foot. I got my sister one and she loves it. It's for a low shank tho.

Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple
    FYI- when my walking foot broke the repair man said it was from using it on thick fabric (like bags). He said it isn't meant for using like that. When I make my bags (50 or so per year) I never use the walking foot. I've found that the most important thing is a good needle, even a jeans needle if the fabric is really thick.

Pat
    I'm not so sure I'd swallow this as a reason it broke. Walking feet are designed to go over at least 3 layers-thick batting and 2 layers of fabric. I lean more to a poorly manufactured product. Yes, the right needle is important. But a weak needle would break. It wouldn't cause the walking foot to fall apart.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast