Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm still glowing >

I'm still glowing

I'm still glowing

Old 12-22-2016, 07:55 AM

My daughter told me that even tho I've gotten into quilting, that she isn't a fan of quilts, so please don't make one for her. OK......Two years ago, I made a quilt for my DIL for Christmas, and my daughter saw it and said "I want one" to which I replied, "No you don't....you're not a fan of quilts, remember?" Her reply "I wasn't aware they could be so beautiful." My reply "Wonderful, I'd be delighted to make one for you, too." Her reply "Can I pick the colors?" My reply, "Most certainly" Right after New Years, my daughter showed up with a pattern, fabric and thread. I got to work on it, and before that was finished, my daughter showed up with 7 more patterns, with promises that fabric would be following. THEN she got engaged, they had a house built, with 3 bedrooms. Quilts on each bed, and she has two quilting frames that she has the alternate quilts on. At her open house, everybody came up to me to tell me how beautiful the quilts were. Glowing????? She was ESTATIC!!!! I've cut her off. She emailed a picture of the Dahlia quilt yesterday, and I told her not in this lifetime. Sorry, no camera, so no pictures. But I can tell you that she picked out some beautiful patterns and fabrics!!!
Old 12-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Power Poster

My mom pulls out a quilt I made for her (and she won't use) for just about everyone who comes to visit. So I get show and tell with lots of oohs and aahs. I made her another quilt and sent along a poem that this quilts needs/wants to be used.....and she is using it.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:34 AM

never had a good relationship with my mil, until a few years after we talked her into moving closer to where we live now (we've followed construction jobs for years, now on last one). i was quite surprised when helping her move into her new home that the main article of decoration in her living room was a quilt i had made for her in ’86 when i first learned to quilt. i've since asked her about it, because it looks new..never really used or washed & she that said she loved it, loved the colors and even if i made another for her the first one would always be the one she treasured. i was in total shock ...after all these years to hear her words ...
Old 12-22-2016, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by grmamrtha1 View Post
My daughter told me that even tho I've gotten into quilting, that she isn't a fan of quilts, so please don't make one for her. OK......Two years ago, I made a quilt for my DIL for Christmas, and my daughter saw it and said "I want one" to which I replied, "No you don't....you're not a fan of quilts, remember?" Her reply "I wasn't aware they could be so beautiful." My reply "Wonderful, I'd be delighted to make one for you, too." Her reply "Can I pick the colors?" My reply, "Most certainly" Right after New Years, my daughter showed up with a pattern, fabric and thread. I got to work on it, and before that was finished, my daughter showed up with 7 more patterns, with promises that fabric would be following. THEN she got engaged, they had a house built, with 3 bedrooms. Quilts on each bed, and she has two quilting frames that she has the alternate quilts on. At her open house, everybody came up to me to tell me how beautiful the quilts were. Glowing????? She was ESTATIC!!!! I've cut her off. She emailed a picture of the Dahlia quilt yesterday, and I told her not in this lifetime. Sorry, no camera, so no pictures. But I can tell you that she picked out some beautiful patterns and fabrics!!!
great story!!
Old 12-22-2016, 11:31 AM

A few weeks ago, while I was tucking in my oldest DGD--she'll be 8 next month--I commented that I thought it was time that we started thinking about a new quilt for her bed. She is still using the one I made for her big girl bed when she was 2. She got this stricken look on her face and said "But Nana I want to keep this quilt!" After I explained that any quilt I made her, would always be hers, she thought a new quilt would be a great idea, because then she would have a quilt for the top and bottom bunk beds (that Grandpa made her).
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 PM

Not a quilt, but....We were discussing making ponchos for my grand daughters today. One of them said "Or you could just buy them from a store." The other girl said "No, I want Grandma to make it. It's better if it's Grandma-Made."
Old 12-22-2016, 05:37 PM

How cool that your quilts were noticed and appreciated! That's all I ask for those I make.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:34 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

My unexpected flattery came from a student from years ago. I taught her to quilt when I lived in Fort Worth, back in the early 1990s. She found me on Facebook somehow a couple of years ago and showed me some quilting awards she had won. She told me it was all because I had taught her those unique quilting classes in the beginning. What a kudo! She made me tear up.

Jan in VA
Old 12-22-2016, 06:45 PM

Not "glowing" here. Long story, but I was forced to give up a baby for adoption when I was a teenager, over 50 years ago. She "found" me 15 years ago and I had about 2 weeks until I was able to "meet" her. On the phone, she told me that she collected antique quilts and linens. I hurriedly put together 12 hand embroidered blocks (done by me) with sashing and had it long armed quickly so that I could give it to her when we finally met each other in 2001. She displayed her quilts in her very large house - on built in bookcases on either side of her fireplace, on the bannister, balcony, backs of chairs, etc. We have not had too good of a "reunion". Fast forward to today, she put a picture on facebook of her son holding his new puppy, wrapped in the quilt I gave to her.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:35 PM

I think our best compliment came from our nephew Austin. He travels quite a bit, and no matter where he's going, how long he's staying, or what the weather is at his destination, he always has space in his luggage for his quilt. It has been all over the country, and even out of the country at least twice. He is now married, and still doesn't have his wedding quilt, but we posted about his guitar quilt here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...-a-t83655.html