Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm still glowing >

I'm still glowing

I'm still glowing

Old 12-23-2016, 04:12 PM

What a wonderful compliment! And so generous of your daughter to not forget to pass it on to you!
Old 12-23-2016, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

I would be glowing too. It's so nice when someone appreciates your quilts. I make quilts for our biannual family reunions. I started the tradition years and years ago and now when my quilt is ready to be raffled off to one lucky winner, they all look forward in anticipation of winning the quilt. It makes me proud that my family appreciates my efforts, especially now that out of 7 children, an older brother and myself are all that are left. At least I know that I have left a legacy in my quilts and will be remembered in some small way.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Yes, MargeD, I attended my BIL's funeral, and his DIL, who I had not seen for over 10 years approached me, and re-introduced herself and her daughter. "I don't know if you remember, but you made a quilt for my daughter when she was born. We still have it, and I wanted you to know how much it has meant to us over the years." We chatted, I remembered making the quilt, and it held a connection between us for many years, like you MargeD, a legacy in some small way.
Old 12-23-2016, 04:47 PM

I just gave my niece a quilt for her baby boy who Is due to arrive in February. She took it out of the wrapping, back showing. She could not take her eyes off the back of the quilt, which was a country hill neighborhood fabric that I have no idea of how or when it got into my stash. I finally said to her, "The back is for you. I suspected you would love it. The front is for the baby."

She finally looked at the front. It got very little reaction, compared to the backing - as I expected.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:23 AM

we don't quilt for compliments, but they sure are heart warming stories
Old 12-24-2016, 08:31 AM

Oh Pam S, please make your SIL that quilt now. What a marvelous beginning to a cherished connection.

😚 A
Old 12-25-2016, 05:02 PM

The woman who taught me to quilt recently described one of my quilts as "one of the best quilts she's ever seen" when she saw it on Facebook. Considering what an an amazing quilter and teacher she is, I consider that a great compliment.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:36 PM

Years ago I was going through a rough patch in life and sought help from a wonderful psychologist. Towards the end of our therapy, she got pregnant with her second child. I made an adorable safari-themed flannel baby quilt for her. It had a giraffe, an elephant, a monkey, and a lion appliqued on it, among other animals. There was chenille trim on parts of the animals' bodies, which was a lot of fun. I used the leftover scraps to piece together a colorful binding. She gasped when I gave it to her, and wanted to put it somewhere safe. I made her promise to USE it for the baby, who turned out to be a girl. Ran into her a few years later at Target, after she was done hugging me she told me her daughter sleeps with that quilt every night. She carefully picks which animal will be closest to her face and what color of binding section she will hold onto when she goes to sleep. That made me cry, I was so happy.

Last edited by Peckish; 12-25-2016 at 09:39 PM.