Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm stuck... >

I'm stuck...

I'm stuck...

Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 PM

I have always had trouble deciding on a fmq pattern. What I decided was to do shadow or straight lines. From this stage I moved to other shapes when I felt comfortable. You have to learn to crawl, walk and then run ages later and finally hop and skip . Follow all the advice on here and just think I will do it, I can do it. Don't sell the frame once you are more confident it doesn't take long to load"
Old 02-24-2016, 12:01 AM

take a cheap step and buy used bed sheets to practice thats how i practice quilting on frame, old used sheets that i don,t care of making mistakes on and throw out
Old 02-24-2016, 12:52 AM

Thanks ladies!

Windblown,
What a great idea! I'm not sure I'm getting the sid part, tho. Do you mean you do sid 1st, and then go back and mark like lines on a paper to follow when you do the fmq writing? (similar to when writing cursive on ruled paper was taught back in the day..though you may not be an old-ish gal like me...lol)
I can say when I have practiced on say a 12" square, writing my name is easier than stippling is for me.

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions! I'm actually kinda excited about giving them all a go. And I'm going to make a deal with myself in writing here...I will NOT go back and rip out any of the fmq stitches. Yikes, just writing that is a bit nerve wracking...I really do need to loosen up.

Quiltingshorttimer,
I don't imbibe, but maybe I should...haha

As Feline fanatic said, I will ditch my fear and not the frame. At least until I try it.

Warm Regards all,
Kif

Last edited by kiffie2413; 02-24-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:02 AM

You mentioned something about deciding how you want to quilt a top. I just read a book, Listen to Your Quilt, by Barbara Persing. She gives excellent tips for analyzing the top and answering four basic questions about it. She provides several examples. I bought my copy through Amazon to keep the cost down. Used copies are available through Amazon, too.

I know I will find it easier to decide how I want to quilt my future projects! So keep trying and keep us posted on how you are doing...we are all rooting for you!
Old 02-24-2016, 05:17 AM

You need to just jump in. The water's fine. Many of us are too critical or our own work. I can't get the hang of staying exactly on the line for stitch in the ditch, but I have also found no one who receives my quilts complains about it. Try free motion using your machine with the frame, once I tried it I love it. It is sooo much easier. When I can't decide on what color to use I go with invisible thread on top and match the bobbin thread to the back.
Old 02-24-2016, 05:39 AM

Just do it! It will not be perfect ... but that's OK. In a while ... once you relax ... it will be great.
Honestly we are our own worst critics ....
Old 02-24-2016, 06:32 AM

I found the easiest for me was using a kids panel and outlining EVERYTHING. It taught me control (similar to following your own cursive), gave me confidence and gave me the freedom to try a few new designs within the smaller spaces. Kids aren't going to critique your work................then donate to a worthy cause. I still have the problem of deciding what to put where, within my capabilities LOL but I don't make show quilts, so just jump in and start. Personally, stippling makes me more nervous, and I find it easier to do loops, but I usually try at least one new design on every quilt, even if it is in a small area. I also keep a sampler of what quilting patterns I can do well, seen here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...s-t271966.html as kind of a library to remind me. Here is how I store them:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]543423[/ATTACH]
I'm a bit OCD too, and used to take out my FMQing stitches, but I like using Superior Bottom Line. It is so fine that if you match your thread, it is hard to see and hides all my mistakes LOL Most of the time I want the texture, not the thread to show. Just play and your confidence will grow with each quilt top you do. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails dscf4903.jpg  
Old 02-24-2016, 07:11 AM

Try not to over think things, anything you try will be a learning experience at a minimum. I would not sell that frame - time changes things and you may want it one day. Hang in there!
Old 02-24-2016, 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=kiffie2413;7475311]Thanks ladies!

Windblown,
What a great idea! I'm not sure I'm getting the sid part, tho. Do you mean you do sid 1st, and then go back and mark like lines on a paper to follow when you do the fmq writing? (similar to when writing cursive on ruled paper was taught back in the day..though you may not be an old-ish gal like me...lol)
I can say when I have practiced on say a 12" square, writing my name is easier than stippling is for me.

Kif sorry That sid part was not very clear was it. Yep exactly like (penmanship class)so now you know how old I am
lol.. . I had several baby strip quilts, so I sid 2" apart then used the soap sliver to write on the quilt top I follow this somewhat after I get going, it's just there to keep size and word spacing correct, nursery rhymes, names,dates anything. The soap will wash right out when you are finished. Everyone seems to love the ones I have given them.
Kasey
Old 02-24-2016, 02:04 PM

I feel your fear, but you can do this! Put your big girl panties on and just do it! Of course it won't be your best work, buy you will NEVER learn if you don't make yourself begin. What is that saying. " a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." ) 0r something like that. Is there anyone you know who could come and sit with you and talk you through the process while you do the work? Stay calm, get a big mug of hot tea and begin. Let us know how you are doing. In fact, report in to the group every day for a few days so you can hold yourself accountable! We will be waiting to hear from you!