Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I'm totally stuck on something >

I'm totally stuck on something

I'm totally stuck on something

Old 05-27-2011, 05:16 AM

I'm making a wallhanging featuring dogs in dog houses. I was zipping right along until it came to the strips with cornerstones. I've never done those before and I cut them the size it says for the long part and then cut the small cornerstones, but when I sewed them together they are way too long for the blocks. What did I do wrong?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:28 AM

I haven't done many cornerstones... but I think you need to measure and add 1/2".
Old 05-27-2011, 05:30 AM
Power Poster

Without a pic I can't be 100percent sure, but normally the strips are cut the length of your unfinished block. Did you measure your blocks? Did they come out to the size the pattern said they should?
Old 05-27-2011, 05:33 AM

do you mean the cornerstones for the sashing? The sashing should be cut in lengths matching the unfinished block length. Cornerstones should be cut in a square the cut width of the sashing.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:13 AM

Please keep in mind that some patterns are not correct in their measurements. I have had this problem before, just make a note to self of the correct measurement and keep on sewing.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:44 AM

Without a picture, it's hard to determine the problem, but measuring is the first step. Measure the block on each side (hopefully they're all the same!), and then cut your sashing strip the same length. For your cornerstone, cut a square the same width as your sashing (if you're starting with a 2-1/2" sashing strip - which will finish at 2" - then cut a 2-1/2" square for your cornerstone).

Sew one sashing strip without a cornerstone to the top of the block. Now lay your sashing strip WITH cornerstone on the block. The top of the cornerstone should line up with the top of the sashing strip, and the seam created from the cornerstone and sashing strip should match up to the intersection of the sashing strip and block. If all is matching, go ahead and sew.

If this doesn't work, let us see a picture of what you're up against and we can see if we can come up with another solution!
Old 05-27-2011, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta
I'm making a wallhanging featuring dogs in dog houses. I was zipping right along until it came to the strips with cornerstones. I've never done those before and I cut them the size it says for the long part and then cut the small cornerstones, but when I sewed them together they are way too long for the blocks. What did I do wrong?
Thanks to all of you. I did measure and cut the strips the size of the blocks and then sewed on the cornerstones which made it larger. I'm going back into the room and work of this, right after I finish making the delicious rhubarb jam that was posted a few days ago. Your suggestions should get me started on the right path. If not, as Arnold would say, "I'll be back".
Old 05-27-2011, 07:54 AM

Wow, this is really helpful! I have trouble getting them the right size too. It always seems a little bit off.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Roberta
I would love to see a picture! I have been collecting dog fabric with the intentions of making a quilt with dogs in dog houses, but haven't quite figured out how I want to do it. Please share your's and inspire me... :wink:
Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 AM

Did you sew corner stones on to all four strips you cut?
Sew strips with no corner stones onto two opposite edges of your block. Then sew strips with corner stones on each end to the other two sides of the block.