Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
imperfect quilt >

imperfect quilt

imperfect quilt

Old 06-26-2011, 07:05 PM

LOL If only I needed to add an imperfect block! I make plenty of mistakes on my own! :D
Old 06-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I have done it but not deliberately LOL
There is an old tradition among quilters before us that they would make an intentional mistake b/c only God is perfect.
So I guess I am keeping the tradition alive :D:D
Me too, also!
Old 06-26-2011, 07:32 PM

I make enough mistakes that I don't have to make one on purpose!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 12:03 PM

Hi. Just wanted to share a old saying with you. In the day there were many sayings we all lived by. The one I think fits this is where you must on purpose make a mistake in your quilt somewhere so as to not ofend God. He is the only one who created anything Perfect. Honey let me tell you none of my quilts EVER offended God. I am strill trying to do my best but I know my seam ripper a bit better that I would like too. I have seen lovely old quilt blocks where a lady had turned a section side ways. Just to keep up with the times. You do what you want to. God gave us the ability to think and sew and to help others. Keep on pieceing. Helen
Old 07-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I have done it but not deliberately LOL
There is an old tradition among quilters before us that they would make an intentional mistake b/c only God is perfect.
So I guess I am keeping the tradition alive :D:D
I have heard (or read) that native americans have a similar belief.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 AM

I just finished a techniques quilt. It is based on Jennie Rayment's books taught at our LQS. I used so many new and different techniques it isn't funny. I can look at it and tell you where they all are. Others in my class was trying to figure out what they would name thiers since techniques didn't sound right. I told them I was calling mine an education quilt; because every block I made was a new experience for me right down to the quilt as you go and the ruffle binding. I don't have to do intentional "mishaps" because I'll do enough unintentional "mishaps" to show it isn't perfect. The good thing is I'm the only quilter in my family and friends and they all love what I do and think I have great talent. So there you go; I get the pat on the back for being talented and no one knows but me all of the mistakes that I made. I'm so good with that. I love my quilt; mistakes and all. I'm getting ready to start teaching myself quilting so I'm sure my mishaps will increase alot with that.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by sarahrachel
I would like to know if anyone has deliberately made a quilt imperfect, turned a block the wrong way, made one block not "match" in color.

I'm just wondering because I'm hand piecing a quilt and since I'm not the best at it, the stitches don't look perfect from the top, but I like it since it's a country style quilt and it looks more rustic that way.
When I first started quilting I made a table runner and did one piece of each block a different color, it matched the colors I was using, but yeah it drove my mother nuts. Maybe that was the point.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-239783.jpe