Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Important lesson: Don't cut fabric when you are tired >

Important lesson: Don't cut fabric when you are tired

Important lesson: Don't cut fabric when you are tired

Old 11-27-2010, 05:53 AM

I was cutting fat quarters for Christmas table runners using this pattern

http://www.quiltbug.com/free/table-topper.htm

Instead of cutting the center square 9 1/2 inches I cut it 9 inches. Do you think I need to cut everything else 1/2 inch shorter/narrower too? Luckily I was only cutting fabric for one instead of mass cutting for the 20 I am planning on making.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:00 AM

I would only cut the pink and green (shown those colors in the picture) strips 1/2" shorter. There's no need to cut them narrower or to cut the small squares smaller. You wouldn't even have to cut the strips shorter but it would make trimming the sides more difficult when you get to that step. I think you'll find that other than making the runner just a bit narrower cutting it incorrectly won't make a bit of difference.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:37 AM

I don't cut when I'm tired because I'm always scared of cutting myself! Sorry it happened, but I'm glad you caught your mistake.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:04 AM

Been there, done that!
Old 11-27-2010, 08:06 AM

I try to stay OUT of the sewing room completely when I am tired..... sometimes it is so frustrating because I WANT to sew or to cut soemthing out.. but I have learned the hard way.. If I am tired.... I make a mess of things...
Old 11-27-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
I would only cut the pink and green (shown those colors in the picture) strips 1/2" shorter. There's no need to cut them narrower or to cut the small squares smaller. You wouldn't even have to cut the strips shorter but it would make trimming the sides more difficult when you get to that step. I think you'll find that other than making the runner just a bit narrower cutting it incorrectly won't make a bit of difference.
Thanks. I thought I would only need to cut the strips shorter but I didn't want to rely on my judgment only. Thanks for the second opinion.

I generally don't cut or sew when I'm tired. It was Thanksgiving evening after we came back from my mom's house. I really wanted to get some of the runners cut so I could just sew yesterday. But, my daughter was still home from college and we spent most of the day doing her favorite kind of shopping -- online! She hates crowds.