Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Impossible PP Project? >

Impossible PP Project?

Impossible PP Project?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:05 AM

I agree with everyone else. You will be better to fuse. I had a picture my daughter took in Greece and I really wanted to make it into a wall hanging. I blew it up into an 8 x 10 and put it on my light box. I traced all large pieces and the details that I wanted in my wall hanging. I traced it onto a piece of thin template plastic and then took it to my local print shop. They blew it up to a 12 x 30 inch size. I then traced all the pieces and made templates and placed them on my background until I liked the placement. I then fused the pieces and machine quilted. I hope this helps, with all the suggestions I am sure you will make a beautiful wall hanging..The picture is amazing...Good Luck. If I get one of my kids to help me I will post a picture of mine. I still can't get a handle on that posting pictures thing.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
Since it would be fairly intricate if you paper piece it the seams could get pretty bulky. I'd fuse it.
I agree 100%. I would try to fuse it also, you will be able to get more detailed also.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 AM

i want to see it finished no matter haw long it takes
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 AM

Anything is possible, but as CorgiNole said, it would be extremely detailed. Would this be your first PP? If so, try something not quite so detailed, in the meanwhile, you can be drafting up your PP of the Minas Tirith. Good luck and have fun. Fusing would probably be best.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 AM

Not to put a damper on this gorgeous project endeavor, but would you be violating any copyright laws. Maybe just to be on the safe side you should contact someone and let them know your intentions and get permission to replicate this. Just looking out for you. There are always so many discussions on this topic I wouldn't want you to show it in a fair or have a picture of it published and end up in trouble. It should be a fairly easy and painless step to take just to protect yourself.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:08 AM

Got to agree: fusing and raw edge applique sounds like the way to go. Awesome project! Can't wait to see the results. What a labour of love.........
Old 08-17-2010, 05:45 AM

This website, could give you some insight on how to tackle
your project. www.englanddesign.com This quilter does
landscape quilts with a lot of detail and has a book on
how to go about it, maybe it would help, with the picture
that you want to do. Good luck.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

Yikes, I wouldn't know where to start.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:07 AM

Umm, your nuts! ;)
Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by quilterguy27
Not to put a damper on this gorgeous project endeavor, but would you be violating any copyright laws. Maybe just to be on the safe side you should contact someone and let them know your intentions and get permission to replicate this. Just looking out for you. There are always so many discussions on this topic I wouldn't want you to show it in a fair or have a picture of it published and end up in trouble. It should be a fairly easy and painless step to take just to protect yourself.
Hmm, hadn't thought of this issue. I'm really not sure who I would ask about such a thing. I mean this particular picture is taken from the movies, but the idea/city itself is Tolkien's...

A quick question for everyone else - what exactly do you mean by 'fuse'?