Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Incorporating my wedding dress >

Incorporating my wedding dress

Incorporating my wedding dress

Old 01-23-2010, 08:08 AM

For my next big project I am going to make a nine patch wedding quilt for myself and my soon to be husband. I want to use the scraps from my wedding dress to use to frame the pieces as I put them together. I'm not real sure what the material is for my gown but I thought I'd take them with me when I search for fabrics to go in the quilt. I think it is a mixture of satin and rayon. What would be the best way to use them if I can't mix fabrics?
Old 01-23-2010, 09:48 AM

I would go ahead and mix the wedding fabrics as you aren't going to washing this quilt very much.

A hint: If the fabric is flimsy or slippery to work with, iron a very thin interfacing to the back side of it. Then just cut and sew as with the cotton. This really stabilizes the fabric and makes it easier to work with.

Would love to see it when it is done.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:35 AM

Crazy Quilting would be so nice to try as you have many options, you can add pictures, embroidey, add lace, ribbon, etc.
As for the filmsy material, you can also use it to stablize a silk flower on a square, (Crazy Quilting ) of course. You could just do a pictorial quilt using pictures from your wedding. Put all your ideas on paper as they come to you, (so you don't forget), then study it and go from there.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:10 PM

How do I put our pictures in our quilt?
Old 01-24-2010, 06:28 PM

there are many different "fabrics" that you can run through your photocopier. I made a 25th wedding anniversary wallhanging with the center of a 4 inch log cabin that fit together in the shape of a heart. The photo was one of the wedding couple and their three children. It was wonderful and they truly love it. It hangs over their bed now. The log cabins were reds and maroons with creams and tone/tones. The photo was "framed" with fabric left over from her wedding dress. good luck. quiltingmom86
Old 01-24-2010, 07:21 PM

Are there scraps from any attendant's clothing? If you can get them, you could add those into your nine patches.

Before you cut it all up - for my daughter, I made the ring bearer's pillow from her dress scraps.

Next, I made the christening gown for her children's baptisms.

I'm still working on an anniversary (soon to be 10th!) quilt for them. Another UFO. Took a long time to decide on a pattern. I'm glad you already know what you want to do.

Can you tell I bought a lot of dress fabric to make sure I didn't run out for her dress? 8)