Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
industrial sewing machine ??? >

industrial sewing machine ???

industrial sewing machine ???

Old 10-03-2014, 06:43 PM

Default industrial sewing machine ???

I have a very old industrial singer sewing machine that I love, but it is getting very worn out and I am thinking about buying a replacement. Does anyone here have an industrial sewing machine that they use to quilt? I use mine to piece and to quilt. I also have a part time job sewing patches on uniforms, I am wondering if there is anyone else that uses an industrial machine, and has any recommendations? I need one that will do everything that my old singer does, pieces, quilts, and sew on patches.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:49 PM

Yep. Have the Brother 1500. Straight stitch only and 9" throat. A lot of quilters on this board have it and love it. Very basic and easy to use. So glad I bought mine. My Sister tried mine and bought herself one. I have other machines if I need a special stitch and an embroidery only machine. I'm set.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:31 PM

I think the Juki TL2010q is semi-industrial. Only straight stitches, very powerful, can sew through 6 layers of denim easily. Love it, large throat, use it for piecing and quilting. Several on this Board have it.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

I always thought that "industrial sewing machines" were not portable and usually built into their own tables. The ones I was acquainted with were also extremely heavy. I have a Bernina 1530 that is still going strong. I have quilted hundreds of quilts with it.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

To my mind, an industrial machine is where the motor is separate from the machine, often mounted in the sewing table, like many Consew models. I think you want a heavy duty domestic. How is your singer getting 'worn out'? I would take it to a reputable repair person and get their opinion before making any decisions.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
To my mind, an industrial machine is where the motor is separate from the machine, often mounted in the sewing table, like many Consew models. I think you want a heavy duty domestic. How is your singer getting 'worn out'? I would take it to a reputable repair person and get their opinion before making any decisions.
I have been looking for someone to take it too but so far, no one wants to look at it because it is too old. It is starting to make grinding noises in the sewing machine itself not the motor, that would be an easy fix. I have tried all of the things I have learned to do over the years but so far it is still making the grinding noise. I really don't want to damage it anymore than it is so I would like to retire it.
Attached Thumbnails 2013-08-05-14.21.10.jpg  
Old 10-04-2014, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

Yes, your photo is what I was thinking of for an industrial machine. The only two brands that come to mind are Consew and Juki. I have only one friend with one of these and she has a Consew (upholstery/home dec business). Here in the greater Detroit metro area I often see them on Craig's list. If you feel the motor is in good shape, you might be able to just find a head. Allbrands has them too.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 10-04-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:28 AM

Jinney:

Post on the Vintage Board & ask if anyone knows of a sewing machine service tech who works on these older machines in your area. There are a few on there that may also be able to help you figure out what is wrong with your machine. You could also ask where to buy a good used one.

Not all industrial machines are greated equal. Mine is a Sailrite & is designed/set up to sew heavy fabrics like sunbrella, tarps, leather, etc. It has a heavy teethed feet dogs & leather walking foot that would rip quilt fabrics to shreds. When buying a machine you need to make sure it's designed to the fabrics you will be using it for.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
Jinney:

Post on the Vintage Board & ask if anyone knows of a sewing machine service tech who works on these older machines in your area. There are a few on there that may also be able to help you figure out what is wrong with your machine. You could also ask where to buy a good used one.

Not all industrial machines are greated equal. Mine is a Sailrite & is designed/set up to sew heavy fabrics like sunbrella, tarps, leather, etc. It has a heavy teethed feet dogs & leather walking foot that would rip quilt fabrics to shreds. When buying a machine you need to make sure it's designed to the fabrics you will be using it for.
I will do that, thanks for the info