Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inexpensive Janome for family member >

Inexpensive Janome for family member

Inexpensive Janome for family member

Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilting Grandma View Post
I have the Jem Platinum. Love it. It is a little work horse, has a fair number of stitches. I think it would be a great machine.
The platinum Jem cost me $500.00 The other Jem models are cheaper.

Last edited by Lucio; 04-17-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Jem is mispelled
Old 04-17-2014, 11:29 AM

Try Overstock.com - they sell refurbished Janome's. That website is the only one allowed to sell the refurbished Janome's. I had contacted Janome direct and they told me that the company they use to refurbish their machines only sell them on that website. I bought one to take with me to classes and retreat about 4 years ago and I paid $64 plus a 1 year warrantee and the bill total was $81.00. I absolutely love it and it has never given me a day of difficulty. Also, I bought a computerized Brother on Costco's website for $149.00 and I love that one too.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:08 PM

I have a $500 Janome Jem Platinum. Great little machine. I love it.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:19 PM

I, too, have the platinum.........I can't even count how many tote bags and quilts I've made, but let me tell you, this is the best little workhorse I've EVER had! Can't go wrong with it! But beware, there are a few different Platinums! My fellow-quilter has a Platinum and hers is different than mine!!!! She doesn't have the needle down feature, etc.....so check for what you WANT on the machine.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:50 AM

You have a decent budget. I guess that I am in the minority. Buy "new". From a dealer. Get the most machine for the $$. Love my Janomes.
Sandy
Old 04-18-2014, 04:49 AM

Looking for straight and zig zag stitching. I have the Janome 8200 Horizon which I really like. My daughter needs the basics. She lives in another state and when we visit soon I will be going to a dealer there to purchase it. I want her to be able to get lessons and answers to any questions she may have. I am anxious to get my research done before we go.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:02 PM

I've mentioned it a couple times on this board before but I have a Magnolia 7318 and it's the only machine I've ever owned. I'm a new sewist and bought it at the beginning of last year not knowing how to sew or quilt (or thread a machine), but really wanting to learn to quilt. It has a 4.5in throat, can lower feed dogs, free arm, and just about everything I thought I needed to learn. It's not picky about thread and FMQ has been easy for me to pick up. In short - I love it! I've FMQ'd a queen size quilt on it and I didn't hate it Easy to thread, seems pretty sturdy, stitches straight, weighs roughly 15lbs?