Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Infant Bereavement Quilts >

Infant Bereavement Quilts

Infant Bereavement Quilts

Old 11-05-2016, 10:22 AM

Default Infant Bereavement Quilts

Not the most cheerful topic to post, but I would like the groups input.

Several years ago a guild member asked if we were interested in making bereavement quilts for infants who did not make it to term or were stillborn. The consensus was that it would be a very sad reminder for parents and so we put the idea aside.

I spoke with a woman who does photography at hospitals for such sad occasions and when she found out I was a quilter she begged me to make quilts for this purpose. She said the quilts or bears (bears with birthdate, name, etc.) show up in family photos later to represent the child who was lost.

If it is needed, it would be a wonderful project. I am asking if anyone has had experience with quilts for this purpose to please reply with your thoughts.

Last edited by institches33; 11-05-2016 at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-05-2016, 10:34 AM

Hello. As a former neonatal intensive care nurse, I can tell you parents most definitely appreciate any item that serves as a remembrance of their lost baby. Even if the baby is only swaddled in the little quilt for a short time, or if only one photo is taken of the baby, the quilt will be a lasting and cherished belonging. I think you will find the gesture a much appreciated one. Good luck.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:38 AM

I belong to a painting group and we paint bereavement boxes. The parents put the hospital bracelet, lock of hair, clothing, etc. in for a keepsake. We donate several a month to three hospitals and they always want more. It is a sad reminder, but truly appreciated by people facing such a great loose. It's not like without the reminder they will ever forget. And I think a little quilt to hold and remember would be a comfort.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:32 AM

I belong to an online group who knits/crochet cradles with matching blankets for sleeping babies. A prayer cloth is also given to the parents to keep. The need is there and very much appreciated by the parents. Without a keepsake it is like the baby never existed or no one cared. So I am sorry to say the consensus the ladies decided on was wrong.
The hospitals are in need of tiny 7" long up to 10" long cradles as well as full term sizes if that will help you in sizing.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:35 PM

I was told by the neonatal department in one hospital to avoid solid white because it does not photograph well in these circumstances. White or light color with a contrasting edging is fine. The baby's coloring looks better in a blanket with some color. I don't know if what she said was unique to the photo system they had at that hospital or not. It might be good to ask in your case just what is most desirable.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:56 PM

Annaquilts, on this quilting Board, provides such quilts to hospitals as well as to sick babies in the NICU. Her thread is found under "Requests" as " Looking for help to make baby quilts for the NICU, neo-natal intensive care units". She counts on us board members to make and donate quilts for her to distribute. I love helping her out. Jane Quilter
Old 11-05-2016, 12:57 PM

As a Mother of an infant who lived only 3 days I can tell you anything I have from my baby boy is cherished so much. It is truly as horrible time in the life of the parents and having something to hold onto really helps. I had a little teddy bear that was given to me at a baby shower that I kept, all the rest of the baby shower items I donated but having that bear was life saving to me. It was 38 years ago and I will never forget and having his Bear gives me comfort even now.

I would love to make quilts for something like this, so if you need more I would love to contribute.

Mary
Old 11-05-2016, 01:05 PM

My quilt guild makes these and the nurses say the parents really appreciate having something lovely to wrap their child in when they hold it and love it before they relinquish it. Nothing else at the hospital is appropriate or the correct size. We make them from two fat quarters without any batting. Just sew around them with right sides together and turn rightside out. You don't even need to quilt them if you don't want.
Old 11-05-2016, 03:39 PM

Yes. We had a thread about this sometime earlier this year. A lady from my church lost her "little angel" pre-term and received one of these quilts/receiving blankets. She was so grateful to feel that her child was acknowledged and remembered. She said that so often if a baby is born full-term & dies after a couple months, people expect there will be a memorial/funeral or people will sit shiva or whatever their cultural-religious beliefs dictate; however, when a child is lost pre-term, it can feel like "people just want to sweep the loss under the rug". To her (and this is not always the case), it was important to be supported & allowed to grieve for the loss of her child and the teeny "Adelaide's Angel Wrap" allowed her to wrap up her tiny child & have a proper Christian burial. She buried her little one wrapped in that quilt. I wasn't involved with that project, but I know there was talk of making a second Angel Wrap that the mother could keep as a memorial of her angel baby.

http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/...-blankets.html
Old 11-05-2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I was told by the neonatal department in one hospital to avoid solid white because it does not photograph well in these circumstances. White or light color with a contrasting edging is fine. The baby's coloring looks better in a blanket with some color. I don't know if what she said was unique to the photo system they had at that hospital or not. It might be good to ask in your case just what is most desirable.
Green is another color that doesn't go well for these items.