Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inklingo >

Inklingo

Inklingo

Old 03-23-2011, 08:17 AM

I just found this site and love to do EPP. Has anyone used these templates that you print on fabric. It looks like it would be really fast and easy.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:32 AM

I think it may take a lot of time to cut down your fabric, iron it to freezer paper and then set up the printer, print the fabric, remove the freezer paper.

Sounds like a lot of work to cut out shapes when I could just use my ruler.

Interesting concept...just looks like too much work to me.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM

I use Inklingo for just about all of my piecing now. I have used the diamond shapes to make a 7 sisters quilt; hexagons for a grandmother flower garden; flying geese, HST; QST etc.
This method is not time consuming but a time saver and it requires less tools; saves fabric and the results are so accurate. Inklingo is for machine and hand piecers alike. The stitching lines are printed on the back of your fabric with precision. Please visit http://inklingoprojects.blogspot.com/ to view the many projects that have been made with Inklingo or better yet go to http://lindafranz.com for more information and to try the free Inklingo collection. I am delighted with this product.

A happy and productive user of Inklingo
Old 03-24-2011, 06:42 AM

I've use Inklingo with hexagons and it's really a time saver. I tried tracing around a template at first, but this is so much faster and honestly a lot less waste when you set your printer to custom print sizes like 8.5 x 12. I don't cut my sheet completely until it's time to use them and I get a lot less fraying too.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:17 PM

I joined The Quilter's Message Board yesterday because I just had to tell you that Inklingo is incredible. In my humble opinion it is the best thing to happen to quilting since the invention of the rotary cutter and the self healing mat!

The Inklingo site has lots more information – but here’s my brief description of English Paper Piecing vs Inklingo.

You don’t have to cut paper patterns or use templates, there’s no basting to do, you use a running stitch instead of a whip stitch so the stitches DO NOT show AT ALL on the front of the block!! And… last but not least – it is FAR more accurate.

The cutting and stitching lines are printed on the back of the fabric – which you have ironed onto freezer paper so it will go through the printer. Any printer will do. I prefer to use the 8 1/2″ x 11″ freezer paper you buy in packages at quilt shops – it is a bit heavier and longer lasting and not curved from being on a roll. I can use the same sheets MANY times – just rip the fabric off and iron another piece on.

Check out my blog - I have about 7 Inklingo projects in the works. Inklingo is the best choice for patterns that require templates and special rulers - blocks that have weird measurements, inset seams, curved seams, etc.

My preference is hand piecing but most of the patterns can be machine pieced as well.

The Inklingo site has tons of information and free patterns to download. Linda Franz - the inventor of Inklingo is very helpful - online or on the phone.

Carol
from Panama
http://pananani.wordpress.com
Old 03-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Hi All from a Newbie,

I have used INKLINGO from the beginning. It is a wonderful and extremely useful tool.
It takes me longer to pick out the fabric then it does to print off the patterns.
I am VERY dyslexic, and everyone helps me out, even Linda's Monkey.

Frummie
Old 03-25-2011, 04:46 AM

Hi all,
I have been using Inklingo since nearly the beginning when Linda Franz offered it. I have made several projects, but the one that I am most proud of is on the Inklingo Blog site. It is the Insanity quilt, (scroll down the page). It has precisely 10,339 hexies that finish 1/2" on each side. Now, in all honesty I tell you this....if it had not been for Inklingo this would never have even been a thought of doing. I saw the pattern in Australian Patchwork Quilting magazine some time ago. If you like to things that are precise, then this program is for you. Linda has many freebies on her site, you can download them, print them on the fabric of choice using an ordinary, cheap printer, then rotary cut them out. I was able to cut out my strips, then store them in a box with all of my Insanity supplies (sounds wierd, doesn't it, Insanity?} I would trim the parts as I need them. So much easier than cutting around each hex...which I did many, many years ago. Guess what is still unfinished???? Poor little grandbaby is now 10 years old. Give it a try, and you'll never look back!
Deanna in SE Michigan