Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
inktense pencils - what else do I need? >

inktense pencils - what else do I need?

inktense pencils - what else do I need?

Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 AM

I've played with these too. I used aloe gel and it worked great! I drew a few things on white muslin and have been tossing them into the wash periodically. I've probably washed them a dozen times or more now and the colors are staying very well! I heat set the colors with my iron; not sure if that's necessary but figured it couldn't hurt. I did some areas where I spread the color and then went back after it dried and put some sharper lines back in - all of those little details are still visible.

For brushes, I just used cheap kid's art brushes I had on hand. Probably could just use a finger if you're in a pinch and don't need fine detail.

They're fun!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jane Quilter View Post
heres a link where she experiments with water, gel, medium, brushes, pens, for different effects

http://thequiltrat.blogspot.com/sear...e%20Vera%20Gel
Thank you for that link!
Old 07-14-2016, 07:31 AM

Seems like I used a brush and a light paint medium that I got from Michael's. Yes, you will find that the paint runs with water. One lady on this board was saying that she used aloe vera jell successfully.
Old 07-15-2016, 05:47 AM

Be careful if you use water. Use it very sparingly as too much will run for sure and escape the boundaries where you don't want the color. I would advise using Aloe gel and only a little of that. Go slow until you know what the results can and will be. These are a great deal of fun to use and experiment with. Have fun!
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

So far, Dick Blick seems to have the lowest prices for these pencils.
Old 07-15-2016, 10:10 AM

Hi bearisgray. I really like the Inktense pencils as well and I use water. I used them in my Fading Footprints quilt (just search the Picture thread for the title), I used them for the grass. I quilted the grasses first, then used the pencils then just used any paintbrush I had on hand and dabbed the colored area with water. I was surprised at how pastel looking some of the colors dried. They get dark/vibrant with water but I went over mine about 3 times to get a bright color. Maybe I was doing it wrong but that was my experience. I've heard the clear aloe vera works well but I've never tried it. Hope this helps.