Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inmate Quilting Program >

Inmate Quilting Program

Inmate Quilting Program

Old 02-10-2014, 05:09 AM

Please show these comments to the inmates. They are doing their best to earn money and learn a life skill that will serve them well. Much more productive than watching TV all day. Congrats to them and you!
Old 02-10-2014, 06:18 AM

Bravo to you!!! What a wonderful program.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:44 AM

Two of the prisons in Ohio have similiar programs. One is a men's prison in grafton and the other is a woman"s prison in southern Ohio. My Quilt quild had the organizer from Grafton at a meeting and it was very interesting. I know that both of these programs need any donation that they can get- fabric (any kind), machine, sewing supplies and $$$$$. It is amazing what these people do with limited supplies. Check to see if there are similiar programs in your area so you can support them.

Also I know from the speaker that this a closely monitored program since the bottom line is that the participants are still prisoners.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 AM

How do you acquire the fabric, thread, needles, etc? I've read every post and didn't see that addressed so I hope I'm not repeating a question that has already been asked and answered. I hate when that happens . I am so glad you posted this amazing story and the positive affect it has for the inmates and the community. Thank you for your good work. I can tell by the pride in your message that it is a rewarding venture. American has such a large and growing retired population which is a large untapped resource for volunteering and helping make some positive changes here. Thanks again for your inspiring story.