Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inner scalloped border? >

Inner scalloped border?

Inner scalloped border?

Old 01-03-2012, 07:53 AM

Default Inner scalloped border?

Well I've googled wavy borders, inner scallop, windowed borders....maybe I'm over thinking this. I've searched and looked through countless books on amazon and I can't seem to find any information about making inner scalloped borders. Not a swag, but one edge is straight and the other is wavy or scalloped but the quilt finishes square, clear as mud? I found a tutorial on doing a small project, which is doing a reverse applique method. Now if I want to do a full size quilt, lets say 90x90, is the method the same? Surely there's a better method for doing this on a grander scale. Any advice or suggestions or links would be even nicer!....LOL Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Attached Thumbnails s2.jpg  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:58 AM

Check out Eleanor Burns website. She has a pdf file regarding scallops, waves and vines. This uses her rulers, but it might give you some ideas on how to proceed. You could use her marking method and something round for the actual scallops such as a saucer depending on the size you need. Good luck.

mltquilt
Old 01-03-2012, 08:26 AM

I've done one, but not sure they way I did it is how you want yours to look. I laid one fabric on top of the other, cut the top scalloped section away, stitched it, then appliqued a vine on top to hide the seam.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:30 AM

MLTQUILT is right. Check out Eleanor Burns. I remember a show she did with an inner scallop border. She used rick rack about 1/4" or so from the edge and used that to turn and topstitch to finish the edge. Piping or lace would work too. It was in one of her books, but can't remember the name of it offhand.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 AM

I will check my Sally Collins border book when I get home but I have never heard of this - could you do it with a pieced border of big curved blocks instead or do you need continuous print?
Old 01-03-2012, 11:49 AM

I understand how to do a traditional scallop border, this one is a scallop and then they added more in order to make a straight edge on the quilt. I suppose I could do a large version of windowing?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:33 AM

Do you suppose its just as simple as doing the Drunkards Path Block?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 AM

A friend of mine did this on a Christmas BOM that she just finished. It is really pretty. I do not know how she did it and won't be seeing her for awhile, but if you can't get what you want on the board, PM me and I will call her and get it to you. Good Luck.