Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inquiring about crazy quilts; >

Inquiring about crazy quilts;

Inquiring about crazy quilts;

Old 08-05-2014, 06:09 AM

Default Inquiring about crazy quilts;

I'm just curious, those of you making crazy quilts, do you use your cotton fabric scraps, or do you use other fancier types such as velvet, satin, etc.? Or do you use a combination of whatever you have/find?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 AM

All of the above..........especially if the finished item will be just for display. However, if the item is a wearable I tend to avoid fragile fabrics.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:33 AM

I use scraps, and since mostly I do quilting, most of it is quilting cotton.

I do some art quilts now and then, and some throw pillows, so sometimes things like tulle or satin or brocade make it into the quilt too. I am a rebel and I just don't care about blending things or worrying about care requirements, I'll stitch it all in and just see what happens. If something falls apart I just patch over it...it's a crazy quilt so patches blend right in!

I don't do any fancy embroidery or beadwork on mine, though. Sometimes I throw in some decorative stitches with my machine but mine are mostly just a bunch of scraps sewn down to muslin in random ways.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

All depends on who it's for and if they will use it as a utility quilt or for display. Sent some material and ribbons and lace and different material up to DGD and that is her to go project. Sometimes she hand sews and sometimes uses the machine. Hers is a pastel on black! She also uses an embroidery hoop when she takes it with her. All depends.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:58 AM

I've made a couple of crazy quilt style Christmas ornaments and I just used scraps.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:48 AM

I have made a few out of silk scraps, with fancy hand embroidery. It was fun while I did it, then I just decided, that was enough of that.

I have always wanted to make a cotton crazy, I used to have a machine that would do fancy stitches, but I never got around to it and now I don't have that machine anymore. I think a crazy with print cottons probably wouldn't need embroidery on it.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 AM

My grandmother made my mom a silk crazy quilt with a satin backing for her wedding present, all hand stitched but no embroidery on the seams or anything. It was tied. My mom still has it stored in her cedar chest. It was made mostly with men's silk ties and my mom was married in 1950.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:02 AM

I use everything that matches the project I am making - cotton scraps, my husbands old silk ties, whatever I see fit. I also embroider it with everything from silk ribbon to cotton floss. Crazy quilts are really "anything goes" category. You can add beads, little mirrors, lace, small doilies, whatever strikes your fancy. Go and have fun, and post a pic of your project for all of us to admire. Happy quilting
Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM
Banned

I use denim with bits of silk, lace and ribbon.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:46 PM

I use my beautiful cotton florals, satins, velvets, and silks, lots of embroidery on the seams with fancy stitches by hand. Also do silk ribbon embroidery, and add beads and charms and lace and lace appliques. CQ is my passion!