Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspira quilt frame >

Inspira quilt frame

Inspira quilt frame

Old 08-30-2015, 10:52 AM

Default Inspira quilt frame

Can anyone tell me about this frame? I just purchased one NIB, the price seemed ridiculously low. It was purchased by an elderly lady and then never used. It is so old it has a VHS for instructions. But is still shiny new.

I don't consider myself a quilter yet....

I have made two, a lap quilt and a wedding photo quilt and 8 table place mats that I practiced learning FMQ on.

I have NO room for this frame. It apparently will go full size or half size. But I do feel that having it on hand when I get ready would be a good thing.

Were these a Grace model? Does anyone know the ball park cost of these when they were
new? Do you have one and love it? Have any hints about using it?
I will try to find a place to set it up, but we are redoing the kitchen, bathrooms, and have ripped out all of the carpet to have the beautiful hardwood floors underneath so it could be awhile.

There isn't much on the internet and I did watch a few videos on you tube.

Lorraine
Old 08-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

Does it look something like this?
http://www.pfaff.com/en-CA/Accessori...E-iQuilt-Frame

I believe this is a Pfaff frame for machine quilting. If you have both the frame and the carriage that goes on the frame, you can use any machine that fits the carriage. I think the Inspira was made for the Pfaff GrandQuilter machine, but you don't have to use that specific machine. What kind of machine are you thinking of using on the frame? Typically you want something with a 13" harp or greater.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:13 PM

Thank you for replying. Yes, it looks like that. I did a little more research and I think you are right about it's being a Pfaff frame. I have the carriage I think, They called it the machine adapter unit? Is that the same thing? I have 2014 Juki serger and a 2014 Juki HZL-F 600. I do like the looks of the Juki long arm. I have so many questions. I see photos with a vintage iron lady set up on a huge frame doing king sized quilts. I see photos with normal sized sewing machines. what would be the pros and cons of using an older machine? I have read a little about the nice bells and whistles but can a beginner get by without them?

Thanks for any info, I'am also reading everything I can but opinions vary a lot. LOL
Old 08-30-2015, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I also think this was the frame used for the Pfaff/Viking 18" longarms. It was made by grace, and was the standard metal frame when it was made. It has a shelf for pantos and a storage shelf underneath. The things I didn't like were the rails are aluminum and were a bit too flexible. You see some longarm videos where the operator is leaning on the bar. You could not do that with this unit. You will need space at both ends of the frame to raise the rails as you roll the quilt. Plan on 30 - 36 inches. My biggest issue with the frame was the black plastic surface the carriage actually rides on deteriorated and in order to replace it, you needed to take the entire frame apart. I was eventually told that the machine head was too heavy and that's what was causing the damage. The Pfaff/Viking was actually a Tin Lizzie LS, so your machine may be lighter. Also, the deterioration started occurring after 4 years, so it's not like it fell apart right away.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I also think this was the frame used for the Pfaff/Viking 18" longarms. It was made by grace, and was the standard metal frame when it was made. It has a shelf for pantos and a storage shelf underneath.

The things I didn't like were the rails are aluminum and were a bit too flexible. If I set it up at half size then they would hold up better maybe? I want to start small and work my up....

You see some long arm videos where the operator is leaning on the bar. You could not do that with this unit. You will need space at both ends of the frame to raise the rails as you roll the quilt. Plan on 30 - 36 inches. This means I really would have to set it up smaller as I do not have a space that long.

My biggest issue with the frame was the black plastic surface the carriage actually rides on deteriorated and in order to replace it, you needed to take the entire frame apart. I was eventually told that the machine head was too heavy and that's what was causing the damage.
Okay this is good to know so I would need to go a little lighter on the head.

Just looked and mine seems to have a painted white metal surface not plastic.

The Pfaff/Viking was actually a Tin Lizzie LS, so your machine may be lighter. Also, the deterioration started occurring after 4 years, so it's not like it fell apart right away.
I would venture to say that if I like quilting I would be replacing it within four years. I Paid 127.00 for it so no matter what I would get my use out of it , experience and learn what I would prefer to have in future purchases.
Thank you so much, I am taking notes and appreciate the help.
Lorraine
Old 08-30-2015, 03:50 PM

I had an inspira frame from 2005 to 2009. It was for a 9" throat machine like a VikingMegaQuilter or the PfaffGrandquilter.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Power Poster

You mentioned a Juki longarm. However, with most longarms, you are best off purchasing the machine and the frame together. I wouldn't try putting a Juki machine on an Inspira frame. I also wouldn't necessarily recommend a Juki longarm, as they haven't been in the longarm business long and reviews of them so far aren't very good. Click on "search" near the top right of the screen to search the quilting board for comments about the Juki longarm.

For an Inspira frame, you probably want to be looking for a fairly lightweight machine. The BlockRockit is a relatively inexpensive longarm that doesn't weigh too much.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:47 PM

Thanks for the info, the instruction sheets that came with it are vague and I don't think I have a VHS player anymore... but most of the info I need should be on it. Will have to check in the garage for a VHS player...LOL

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I had an inspira frame from 2005 to 2009. It was for a 9" throat machine like a VikingMegaQuilter or the PfaffGrandquilter.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:00 PM

It's made by Pfaff. I started out on one of these but the poles bowed and the quilting area was so small to begin with and with each roll of the quilt it got even smaller. It got me started though and 6 months later I purchased an A-1 professional frame. I've now been in business for 10 years and will take delivery of my new Gammill in September! Happy quilting!!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:13 PM

Ohhhh, A Gammill, Lucky you, I do know what those are.... I may just hold out for something else, we'll see. I tend to not like frustrations in any form. LOL

We did have the VCR set up but the VHS quality was so bad it hurt my eyes, I had to turn it off. But it appears the better instructions are on you tube. It is about a 40 minute video so I will watch it later tonight. Enjoy your new Gammill.
Thank you
Lorraine

Last edited by Sunflowerzz; 08-30-2015 at 05:18 PM.