Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
inspiration at the art museum! >

inspiration at the art museum!

inspiration at the art museum!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:30 PM

Default inspiration at the art museum!

I stumbled on a needle work display at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. They are showing Mola panels that are goregous. I wish I had a picture to show you. It is a style from panama and features reverse applique. Google Mola and you will see what I am talking about. I want to make one!! The display had a photograph of four women sitting and sewing. I wanted to just jump into the picture and ask them to teach me. I am not much of a hand sewer, but for a project like this I would be willing to learn!

Anyone have any ideas about how to find a teacher for the Mola style?
Old 02-07-2013, 06:38 PM

Look for a "reverse applique" class at your local quilt shop or online. They will usually start with a simple pattern (I made a poppy) but the process will be the same if you want to expand on it. Good luck!
Old 02-07-2013, 06:39 PM

I was lucky when I went to an auction at my Quilt Guild, they were auctioning a basked that had a Mola panel, it wasn't really big but I've got it for $15. I hung it in my sewing room waiting for the inspiration to put it in a finished project, then when I went to the Quilt Show, in the Quiltique (Guild booth) I found another one for 15 more. I now have two and wish I know how to do it. The lines are fine and I bet difficult to reverse applique, I don't yet understand how they place the many colored fabrics underneath. I am there with you... I hope there was somebody that would teach this art.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 PM
cjr

A couple of years ago I bought fabric printed with the Mola designs, authenticated by an anthropologist. You might try Southwest decoratives aka Kokopelli quilt shop in Albuquerque NM. One of my favorite shops, I wish I lived there again, they have very interesting classes. If they are out of the fabric, they may have more info for you. Fabric is very bright with animals on it. Very interesting fabric. Background came in either black or red. I am not a black person, but bought some of both.