Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration, encouragement...needing a pick me up! >

Inspiration, encouragement...needing a pick me up!

Inspiration, encouragement...needing a pick me up!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:11 AM

The smile on the little boy's face will make it worthwhile.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:13 AM

If you were a drinking women I would make a suggestion for a good strong one! But that never really solved anything.
Give it a rest .... and come back after you have recouped ! I do believe chocolate has strong healing properties , so does cheesecake!
Yes it will be worth it when you are done.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:19 AM

Hey girlfriend, I feel your anguish! The way I cope with hand cutting hundreds of tiny pieces for the cards I make, is to break the job down into small parts. I then reward myself when each part is finished.

Are the cars different colors? Can you cut out all the red cars then do something else? Go back in a bit and cut all the blue ones then take another break. Bite sized pieces are much easier to chew and you'll be all done before you realize what happened!! I know you can do this and it will be a grand quilt when you're done. ;)
Old 03-05-2011, 09:46 AM

I knew you guys would help. Need all the nudging I can get!

I sorted them all out on my table....did some dishes, took out the trash, used my 8 year old grounded one for hard labor, now back to it!

Since I know I won't have the time to quilt my newest top this weekend, I'll spend my time cutting. When the cutting is done, they'll get all stacked and happy like the first set I did. I have all the squares cut and stacked and ready to sew for the center strip in all the 9 patches. The other two rows is what I'll be cutting now. Then, NEXT WEEKEND, I'll be able to donate all my time to the quilting I need to do and I'll take a bit of a break before I get the stitching done.

At least I'm not wanting to pull my hair out now.

Thank you!

I'll try and post pics as I go.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

Once you settle down and get to working on the blocks again, you will see that you won't have any problems. At least tell yourself that. You can do it!
Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
I knew you guys would help. Need all the nudging I can get!

I sorted them all out on my table....did some dishes, took out the trash, used my 8 year old grounded one for hard labor, now back to it!

Since I know I won't have the time to quilt my newest top this weekend, I'll spend my time cutting. When the cutting is done, they'll get all stacked and happy like the first set I did. I have all the squares cut and stacked and ready to sew for the center strip in all the 9 patches. The other two rows is what I'll be cutting now. Then, NEXT WEEKEND, I'll be able to donate all my time to the quilting I need to do and I'll take a bit of a break before I get the stitching done.

At least I'm not wanting to pull my hair out now.

Thank you!

I'll try and post pics as I go.
Love the idea of using the grounded one for hard labor. If you don't mind I might steal that idea. :twisted:
Old 03-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Sorry you are having a time with this quilt. How about just working on it for 10 min. and stopping, do something else until it finally clicks. Don't be hard on yourself. Do it for the love of doing it..
Old 03-05-2011, 02:34 PM

After cutting all afternoon, I now have all 80 blankety blank blank cars cut. The ones I couldn't fussy cut, I just decided to cut the cars however and center it around the flags instead. Then cut down the 40 coordinating squares. Now I have all 180 squares cut. Maybe this week I'll get some of them stitched together. The stitching will be the easy part. The hardest parts are done.

I'm not totally satisfied with how the focus fabs ended up cut, but I'm mostly happy with it. Happy enough to get it done for the little guy anyway. I don't think I'll hate looking at it when it's down now.

Thanks again for the nudges...sure needed them. Will post WIP pics once I get going.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
Is there any way that you can select a few of the spots where you are planning on putting the "80 blankety blank blank cars!!" ??? Maybe just fussy cut 20 of them and let the other 60 fall where they may, but position the 'pretty' ones in strategic positions??
It sounds like it's going to be darling!
I really like this idea. I used to do graphic arts layout in my other life. I was always changing something to make it better. My husband used to say, "Let it alone!" But I was taught way too many years ago, "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing right. That is why I'm sitting here ripping right now.

Love ya.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:11 AM

Quite a job, but think about the top when you have them all sewed together. I can see it! My DH has a fit when I rip anything apart. I have to ask him to be quiet or leave the room where I'm working. If I'm knitting in front of the TV, I leave the room.