Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration needed >

Inspiration needed

Inspiration needed

Old 05-07-2016, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

It crosses my mind from time to time, but I just hope that my family will appreciate the work that I have put into them.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:47 AM

when i am down in the dumps, I make a small happy baby quilt. Set it aside when done because s o m e o n e soon will have a baby, or a charity will call for donations, or a new family at church will be in need , or a child will get hospitalized and you will be ready with a gift of a donation that a child/family will treasure and remember your thoughtfulness even if they are not "close" friends. Those events keep you from going in the doldrums. good luck. Pick happy colors.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:46 PM

I don't know what kind of drama you are dealing with, and its too bad that it has you down. I do understand your feelings, but that doesn't mean they are accurate. Even if the quilt is never used and put in a closet that doesn't mean that sometime in the future it will not be pulled out.

I have a quilt all made and ready to gift and part of me is afraid the recipient will think "why did you give me this?" Well honestly, I can't help myself I have to sew - I have a sickness ha ha So I don't know if the gift will be appreciated, but I know that I felt like I had to make it.

I will echo some of the other answers you received. Quilt because you want to. If you are feeling negative about it, then take a break.

I know that I like to do Quilts For Kids. They are small and simple quilts, so they are not a huge commitment. And knowing that a sick child will receive the quilts makes me enjoy the quilting even more. They will send quilt kits to you for free - you only have to pay for the shipping - so I don't have to invest much into them
Old 05-08-2016, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

I just checked the Quilts for Kids website -

The shipping cost to receive the kits (for USA residents) is $6.00 for one kit and $7.00 for two kits.
Then there is the cost of mailing the finished quilts back to the organization.

http://www.quiltsforkids.org/faq/
Old 05-08-2016, 11:18 AM

I enjoy thinking about a child I'll probably never meet who feels a measure of love and comfort from the quilt I've donated. I picture it keeping a child warm during a cold chemo treatment, something to hug when they're in a police car being taken from mom, swaddling a baby doll and using her imagination as a pretend mommy (for Operation Christmas Child I put these with other gifties and a doll into shoebox gifts), or an I Spy quilt to occupy a child who is spending long days and nights in a hospital room without much color or fun. It's the thought of making someone else happier, or at least comforted, that motivates me.

My immediate family members have not asked for a quilt. I've asked if they'd like one and so far no one has said yes. I'm not taking it personally because, by the same token, I don't need something of their hobbies to make ME feel loved. For example, I'm not a huge sports fan nor have any desire to play video games or take up cycling to know the family loves me. I did feel hurt when I gave my mom a quilt 20 years ago and never again saw it in her home. But I understand now that her mindset is "preserve the prettiest sentimental things" which translates "keep it untouched in the closet." At least that's how I have chosen to let it go. I will also not make something for her again because it's not her love language.

Find a charity that speaks to your heart. You will be blessed to create works of kindness for them.

Last edited by zozee; 05-08-2016 at 11:21 AM.