Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Inspiration from old Quilting magizines >

Inspiration from old Quilting magizines

Inspiration from old Quilting magizines

Old 03-09-2014, 09:08 AM

My husband says I have too many books and magazines. He wants me to get rid of a bunch of mine,more than just quilting stuff. My basic rule for buying magazines individually is that it has to have at least 3 projects that I want to do, and to subscribe, consistently having multiple projects I like. For subscriptions, I've been keeping all magazines, but I may go and keep only the ones that have at least 2 or 3 projects.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:23 AM

My mother in law made quilts all of her life as she was one of 11 children and had 10 of her own - never even having electricity until she was about 60 - when most of the children were grown. My DH said that the kids slept upstairs and would wake up with frost on their beds. They slept under a mountain of quilts. She gave us many quilts - one was not too pretty. Fast forward to a few years ago, when I started quilting. I needed to wash that old, ugly quilt in the winter but did not want to hang it outside so DH rigged me up a clothesline in my family room, near the fireplace with hooks so that I could take the clothesline up and down when I needed to dry something in the house. So, I washed the quilt and hung it up in the room - still thinking it was ugly. Then, I started to study the design of the blocks and was quite amazed by the intricate blocks she sewed. Not the best choice of colors, etc. but guess that was all that she had. She was probably trying out a new block. That quilt is sadly not here anymore, one of our newly married kids must have taken it - but wish that I had it back. I have some of her old quilting magazines from 40+ years ago and they are in black and white with maybe a color picture on the front. I am sure that the patterns are still good - just need to adapt them to rotary cutting, etc.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 AM

Me too. I have a bunch on a book shelf in my sewing area, and when I am needing an idea for a quilt, those old magazines are the first place I look.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 AM
Power Poster

I love old magazines because as long as the pattern has good bones, the quilt will shine with today's fabric.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:36 PM

All the time!
Old 03-09-2014, 05:17 PM

I keep all of mine too. I have the very first QNL I bought back in 1976, and all of them since. I love going back and looking though them. I did get rid of my Stitch and Sew along time ago, but wish now I had kept them.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:57 AM

I love old quilt magazines. Each time I look through one, I see something new.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
How many of you like to just sit and look at old quilting magazines? I sure do. I love looking at things that people have made and often long to understand the techniques they used. Its how I get my best inspirations and ideas. It also shows just how creative people really can be. Then there are the simple quilts that are just as wonderful. Why even just changing the color scheme makes an entirely different quilt. I just got a new bunch that I am looking through now. I'm in Hog Heaven.
I just love love them I go through mine from time to time and at that time I couldn't be happier !!!!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:46 AM

I recently moved and am just now setting up my studio. This weekend, I sorted through my magazines. Now they are in magazine holders, sorted in groups such as Fons and Porter, McCalls, etc. Several years ago, I picked up a big lot of old Quilters Newsletter magazines at a garage sale, some of those patterns are as new today as they were in 1990- just made with templates. The only problem- so many patterns and so much fabric- sew little time!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:01 AM
Power Poster

I like to sit and look through old mags. when I am to tired to sew but not ready for bed. I keep thinking I should part with some but its hard to do. There are a lot of ideas and tips in them.