Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
insuring our treasures & stash >

insuring our treasures & stash

insuring our treasures & stash

Old 09-22-2010, 10:07 AM

I was so sorry to here of the gal whose stash got flooded that I just had to share this bit of info from one of the quilt shows.
Most of us have household insurance, but how do we know how much our quilts & stash are worth and could we recoup a loss even if they are not show quality??? Yes you can, take pictures, show quilting, front & back etc. take to a quilt appraiser and they will be able to estimate the number of hours it took you to make and the approximate cost of the materials and how much it would cost you to replace the quilt. Submit to the insurance company and if your deductible is not sky high it is possible to get some reimbursement for losses. It is worth a try.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by sandy lewis
I was so sorry to here of the gal whose stash got flooded that I just had to share this bit of info from one of the quilt shows.
Most of us have household insurance, but how do we know how much our quilts & stash are worth and could we recoup a loss even if they are not show quality??? Yes you can, take pictures, show quilting, front & back etc. take to a quilt appraiser and they will be able to estimate the number of hours it took you to make and the approximate cost of the materials and how much it would cost you to replace the quilt. Submit to the insurance company and if your deductible is not sky high it is possible to get some reimbursement for losses. It is worth a try.
If you can insure computers, cameras and video equipment, I don't see why you can't insure sewing machines, stash and quilts. I have a rider for my hallmark ornaments and my villages. But you have to have pictures, lots of pictures, and a valuation of their worth. Glad you brought this up - I need to update to include sewing machines, stash, etc. Thank you for the reminder.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:21 AM

Was just pondering the other day...should call and insure sewing machines, etc. Thanks for the reminder.