Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interesting observation.... >

Interesting observation....

Interesting observation....

Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 AM

Question Interesting observation....

I got ready to sandwich a baby quilt I was working on Monday night, instead of putting the backing down wrong side up I put the top wrong side up.

It was all nice and neat. Instead of redoing it and putting the backing down I left it. Went about spray basting and putting the backing down.

Once I pulled the painter's tape and clips off the quilt, I turned it over and low and behold it was nice and neat. No puckers or anything like that. Not sure whether it was the new clips I was using or the fact that the top was on the bottom or not.

I know we're taught to put the backing down first but I'm seriously thinking about trying this again with the next quilt.

The pattern I was using was Cheaper by the 1/2 Dozen by Atkinson Designs. I've put the backing down before and only used painter's tape but not the table clips. So I'm not 100% sure what made it so smooth.

What's your thoughts? Can't find the table clips to show you. They're very similar to picnic table clips that hold the table cloth down.

Hugs!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:30 AM

Hmmm. That is very interesting. I might try it with the next quilt I baste.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM

If you are spraying it probably doesn't make any difference. But if you are basting with pins or thread
then you might want to have the top on top to avoid the pins or stitches when you are quilting.
Whatever works for you. I also like to try different things and if it works, great. If not, I learned my
lesson.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:06 PM

The only concern I have is how do you line up the backing to be straight with the top because you usually cannot see the edge of the top since the batting and backing are larger then the top.