Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interfacing/Batting Storage >

Interfacing/Batting Storage

Interfacing/Batting Storage

Old 01-06-2012, 08:37 AM

Default Interfacing/Batting Storage

OK, with all the different types and weights of interfacing for totes/bags/purses/table runners and such, what are some of your ideas for storing interfacing? I have sew in and iron on and then the different weights of each. When they are in the full piece size, I can roll them and place them in the drawer of the dresser. But, once I cut a chunk off and have additional pieces, how do you keep them organized and not all muttled up in a jumbled scrap drawer?

I so would like to keep them separated. This question also goes for the pieces left from cutting up the batting.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

I save my empty wrapping paper rolls. I roll the interfacing on them and secure with a clip or elastic (depending on what kind). I then write on the top of cardboard what kind it is so I don't lose the information. I then pop those wrapping paper rolls in to my long wrapping paper plastic container.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:58 AM

I have a long rectangle box that I keep them rolled up in. I put small pieces in ziploc bags and label them. Space permitting, I keep them in the bin. I have some in a drawer also.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 AM

I have a hanging thing it has pockets on it I believe it was for shoes or sweaters. I use it to store my different interfacing and stabalizers. I just wrap something around them and write on that what it is. works great.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 AM

I saw a storage idea from a sewer of garments. She uses empty gift wrap rolls to wrap her interfacing on. She then wraps a notation around it that has the directions and use for the item. Then stores them on end in an empty box (as you would for gift wrap. I plan to do this. I currently have scraps in a small drawer.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 PM

i use the Nancy Zieman method of storage of iron on products...remember that plastic liner that separates the layers on the roll? she takes two whole repeats (or more if you have a lot). Now fold in half lengthwise, making a plastic pocket...put all scraps in and then store right in the pocket that contains the correct instructions for THAT iron-on.... isn't this great? one of her best tips... I have 2 additions... i sew my pocket with 3 or 4 inches extra on the back pc. NOW, fold that into 3 or 4 layers....sew back and forth in the center area...now use hole punch or clip hole in center of reinforced stitching... I use wire cutters to clip the end of a wire hanger...now feed all the pocket holes onto the hanger....when they're all on, stick cork on the end of the hanger both to protect you from injury and to keep the pockets in place and to stabilize the hanger...i poke both clipped sharp ends into the cork...

Two... i keep black, white and taupe woven poly lining in my stash...one end is for cutting, the other end is for interfacing and when i have weird little shapes and small scraps, i put them on the end of the bolt, ironing on in a crazy quilt layout....like puzzle pcs.... then when i need to interface a collar or cuff...i go to that end and cut it with the pattern...90% will already be interfaced and I didn't waste any iron-on product.... the teeny bits between the puzzle pieces are not large enough to effect your garment.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:57 AM

I have LOT of different sized pieces of batting, so much that I had lost control. I found that the cube space bags would hold a lot. Now I can find the kind of batting I want by seeing thru the bag, and it doesn't take up as much space now. I put the larger pieces on bottom and the smaller pieces on top, then close and vacuum the bag. Those bags are one of the greatest inventions!!