Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Interfacing help for silk scarves quilt please!! >

Interfacing help for silk scarves quilt please!!

Interfacing help for silk scarves quilt please!!

Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 AM

Unhappy Interfacing help for silk scarves quilt please!!

I have been asked to make a memory quilt using silk scarves and have perused the previous threads concerning silk but have not seen a response stating exactly what kind of interfacing should be used. There seems to be some controversy regarding using a woven stabilizer versus a non-woven such as Pellon SF101. Has anyone made a quilt using silk scarves and if so could you recommend an interfacing/stabilizer for the pieces please?
Old 10-15-2014, 07:12 AM

My friend Cindi does a lot of t-shirt quilts, and she uses Pellon 906F for them.

You know what my first thought was when I read your question? How cool would it be to take those silk scarves and make 3D flowers out of them to sew on the quilt.

Here are some previous threads about quilting with silk, you might find your answer in one of them:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t227789.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t210904.html

http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...k-t245532.html

Last edited by Peckish; 10-15-2014 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

My first question was - what type of silk are these scarves? Are they "substantial" - or are they those filmy sheer things?
Old 10-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Power Poster

A lightweight fusible stabilizer is what you want, non-woven none a oven stabilizer is kind of like paper ( like dryer sheets) woven is more like a fabric ( like very thin muslin) either one is OK to use. When working with very thin/fine silks I tend to use the non woven, and i use the woven more often with heavier ( like dupioni silk) fabrics. But I have used what ever I had on hand. I think the wovens make the silk easier to cut, which to me is the greatest challenge when working with silk. Also, use a good New Sharp needle in the smallest size your thread choice will allow
Old 10-15-2014, 01:54 PM
Power Poster

My first question was, are the scarves washable when made into a quilt??
Old 10-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

Silk is almost always washable. It is recommended to hand wash with shampoo. If it wrinkles a lot, it is often recommended to iron it dry (on a silk setting, of course) while it is still damp.

As long as the silk is washed before getting a fusible interfacing, the quilt will be washable.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:59 AM

Many thanks for your responses everyone! Many of the scarves were purchased during the Second World War and brought back as gifts by a soldier for his bride. The quality of the silk is beautiful which is why I'm so nervous about cutting them and want to make sure the interfacing I use is the correct one.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:42 AM

This website has some good tips for working with silk
http://lizzyhouse.typepad.com/cherry...with-silk.html

This could be a great reference source
http://www.amazon.com/Silk-Quilts-Fr.../dp/0844220817

I am not typically a fan of serging blocks in a quilt, but as I am reading about working with silk, I think I would consider doing one with a serger. That would keep all your edges finished as you go and eliminate most or all of the fraying, which sounds like it will be a big problem. I would probably use an offset block or some type of crazy quilt block so that the seams don't have to match up. I find serging doesn't give me that 1 or 2 thread accuracy that I want when matching up block corners in a quilt.

The best idea is to make several small test projects using different methods and see what works for you.

Please be sure and take us on this journey with you, so that all of us can learn what works and what doesn't.