Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interfacing?

Had a quick question about interfacing and whether or not it's absolutely necessary when making a small bag or wallet. I found a cute wallet thanks to a link posted in the link section, but I don't have any interfacing, so I wondered if I could still make it without it? Or if that would mess it up?

Here's the link, if that helps: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=187229.0

You can't use heat n' bond or wunder under instead, can you?

Blog Entries
    The interfacing makes it more sturdy - the wunder under will make it stiffer , but should work- maybe someone else with more experience can hekp

I've made several bags and wallets and I just think it would be too flimsy without the stabilizer, heat and bond is too heavy to sew , you can use wonder under but it is to fuse 2 fabrics together, that would give it even more body if your machine can handle it. I just wouldn't waste my time doing it without, I think you'll be dissappointed.

Great question and thanks for the answers. I'm in a purse making mood today and I don't have any Pellon; almost used wonder-under. Now I guess I'll just go clean until I can get to Joann's (sigh).
    Thanks for asking this!

Blog Entries
    You can use winder- under just make sure it is the light and sewable :wink: It is used for applique all the time

I have the lite version of heat n' bond, if I attempted to use it, would I leave the paper part on?

Blog Entries
    Now that one I am not sure about --- I think I would take the paper off because it will come off on the inside anyways

You could also cut up an old pair of jeans if your fabric isn't too light and use that for interfacing. Or maybe a heavier old shirt, too.

Too light colored I meant to say. Sorry bout that.

Quote Originally Posted by knlsmith
    You could also cut up an old pair of jeans if your fabric isn't too light and use that for interfacing. Or maybe a heavier old shirt, too.
    That's a good idea! Would I use heat n'bond to attach it? Or just sew it between the layers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast