Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Introducing Bitsy, my own little Featherweight! >

Introducing Bitsy, my own little Featherweight!

Introducing Bitsy, my own little Featherweight!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:55 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

She's finally here, and she's a beauty. She joins her friend Betsy (the vintage Bernina 930) on the sewing desk. I think I have a winning team here!

But I must confess... Bitsy smells... a lot. Like grandma's attic. She's going to the repair shop for a spa treatment, so hopefully that will take care of her, but her case just reeks. Any suggestions??

But smelly or not, she's my baby!!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250050.jpe  
Old 09-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Google Goddess

Congratulations!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-250051.gif  
Old 09-01-2011, 10:03 AM

Have fun with her she is beautiful.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:26 AM

Congrats! I agree that's a great combo, I have both also :)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Put bounce fabric sheet in the box, it works.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM

Stuff the case with crumpled newspaper for a while, change it every couple of days. I then sprayed mine with Lysol spray really heavily and let it sit outside on a blistering sunny day and repeated that for 2 or 3 days. Seems to have worked pretty well for me. Others have used odoreaters or some other form of charcoal and one of the deodorant soaps, Dial? maybe.

Once Bitsy smells good you will love her....well, you already do don't you?
Old 09-01-2011, 10:37 AM
Power Poster

Cute
Old 09-01-2011, 10:40 AM
mac

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
She's finally here, and she's a beauty. She joins her friend Betsy (the vintage Bernina 930) on the sewing desk. I think I have a winning team here!

But I must confess... Bitsy smells... a lot. Like grandma's attic. She's going to the repair shop for a spa treatment, so hopefully that will take care of her, but her case just reeks. Any suggestions??

Congratulations. I remember getting my first Featherweight just 2 days before Christmas. The seller wrapped is so well it was like opening a bunch of Christmas presents. But, boy did it smell!

I have several suggestions, but know this from the start, they may not work. To get the smell out is really difficult, I had to try several different things before the smell dissipated.

One of the main problems is if it was stored in a dank place like in the garage or basement. Then you sort of get a mildew smell. The felt oil catcher on the bottom of the machine also causes the smell. So a large part of the smell will go away once it is changed when you have your machine cleaned. Also, be sure to take anything out of the case that is old and greasy, like the old oil bottle and the lubricant.

But you can try these:

1. Wash out the inside of the case with soap and water. Be sure that your rag is sort of dry wet, not really soggy. You don't want to make the liner peel away from the wooden box. Rinse it and dry it really well.

2. Put it out on a the porch on a dry, hot day, let it sit out for the whole day.

3. If that doesn't work, you can put it in your hot car on a hot day. Drying it in the heat like this helps to dry up the wood if there is some mildew in it.

4. You can put a pound of unused coffee beans in the bottom of the case, close the lid and leave it in there until it smells better. I eventually left the coffee beans in the case and kept the case (without the machine) in my car for several weeks in the summer. It seemed like it finally did the trick.

When the case was in the house I left the lid open so that it wouldn't get smelly again. Now my case is smelling fine. It just takes some patience.

Hopes this helps.

P.S. One more thing, if you live in a humid part of the country, put a jar of that stuff that takes the humidity out of the air.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:41 AM

Ditto crumpled newspaper and hot sun.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:45 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by mac
Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc

Congratulations. I remember getting my first Featherweight just 2 days before Christmas. The seller wrapped is so well it was like opening a bunch of Christmas presents. But, boy did it smell!

I have several suggestions, but know this from the start, they may not work. To get the smell out is really difficult, I had to try several different things before the smell dissipated.

One of the main problems is if it was stored in a dank place like in the garage or basement. Then you sort of get a mildew smell. The felt oil catcher on the bottom of the machine also causes the smell. So a large part of the smell will go away once it is changed when you have your machine cleaned. Also, be sure to take anything out of the case that is old and greasy, like the old oil bottle and the lubricant.

But you can try these:

1. Wash out the inside of the case with soap and water. Be sure that your rag is sort of dry wet, not really soggy. You don't want to make the liner peel away from the wooden box. Rinse it and dry it really well.

2. Put it out on a the porch on a dry, hot day, let it sit out for the whole day.

3. If that doesn't work, you can put it in your hot car on a hot day. Drying it in the heat like this helps to dry up the wood if there is some mildew in it.

4. You can put a pound of unused coffee beans in the bottom of the case, close the lid and leave it in there until it smells better. I eventually left the coffee beans in the case and kept the case (without the machine) in my car for several weeks in the summer. It seemed like it finally did the trick.

When the case was in the house I left the lid open so that it wouldn't get smelly again. Now my case is smelling fine. It just takes some patience.

Hopes this helps.

P.S. One more thing, if you live in a humid part of the country, put a jar of that stuff that takes the humidity out of the air.
Those are great suggestions, I'll give them a try. And boy, Florida is nothing if not humid, at least this time of year. fortunately, I don't smell any mildew, just old attic. I'll get right on this! Thank you SO MUCH for the ideas.