Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Invisible thread

Boy, I hope someone out there can help. I am trying to zigzag an applique with invisible thread. Is it possible? I am using that as my top thread and regular thread in the bobbin. The thread does not pick up the bobbin thread. It will be great for about 10 stitches and then skips all over. I have a Viking Designer II and tension is built in. I have threaded and re-threaded several times. Any other clues to success? Thank you, Lynne

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fivepaws
    Boy, I hope someone out there can help. I am trying to zigzag an applique with invisible thread. Is it possible? I am using that as my top thread and regular thread in the bobbin. The thread does not pick up the bobbin thread. It will be great for about 10 stitches and then skips all over. I have a Viking Designer II and tension is built in. I have threaded and re-threaded several times. Any other clues to success? Thank you, Lynne
    I don't like using invisible thread for just that reason. I have Vikings and they don't like different threads in bobbin & top. My machines have been very finicky with the monofilament thread. You may try a different needle; that may help. Personally I would try to applique with a thread close to the fabric color. Monofilament is just too picky for me to work with it.

Blog Entries
    I agree, it is a lot easier to match regular thread to the outer edge of the applique than to use monofilament in most machines. :D:D:D

Ok, I am one who loves using invisible thread, but when I use it for appliqué, I use it in the bobbin too, and use a small needle(size 60). I do however, use regular thread in the bobbin and invisible on top when quilting without problems.
    What needle size are you using? Could it be too big? When it does sew, does the tension look right? I don't know much about your machine (or sewing), but surely if I can get it to work you could. I generally have to lower the top tension a bit, but never have problems with skipped stitches.
    Sorry I can't me more of a help.

I think Candi is probably on to something. The invisible thread is so fine that if you try to sew with a needle that's too large or has too big an eye, the thread doesn't form a loop large enough to be caught by the hook. Skipped stitches.

Try a size 70/10 or even a 65/9 and see if that doesn't clear up your problem.

Since you can't adjust the upper tension, you may be able to compensate by tightening up slightly on the bobbin tension. Good luck! :)

Quote Originally Posted by candi
    Ok, I am one who loves using invisible thread, but when I use it for appliqué, I use it in the bobbin too, and use a small needle(size 60). I do however, use regular thread in the bobbin and invisible on top when quilting without problems.
    What needle size are you using? Could it be too big? When it does sew, does the tension look right? I don't know much about your machine (or sewing), but surely if I can get it to work you could. I generally have to lower the top tension a bit, but never have problems with skipped stitches.
    I have a Viking and agree with Candi. I use invisable ALOT. The right needle( smaller is better 70/8 or smaller) , tension( usually you need to reduce the top tension) , and thread is so important. It also matters how the thread is winding off the spool. I use my cone holder as it allows the thread to relax a bit before going through the tension disks. I do not use the invisable thread from JoAnns, way to many issues. I buy from HomeSew or Coltilde. Since you are having a problem every 10 stitches I think you have a tension issue as it is coming off the spool as well as a needle issue.
    I have even used it in the top and bobbin.

Blog Entries
    Great info have to save this.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I use invisible thread in my Brother XL2600 (cheapie little machine) with no problems. I use it on top with regular thread in the bottom. I never change my needle. I do use the blanket stitch instead of a plain zig zag, so maybe that's the difference. I buy mine from Quilt in a Day. I don't know what brand that is, but it works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori S
    Quote Originally Posted by candi
    I have a Viking and agree with Candi. I use invisable ALOT. The right needle( smaller is better 70/8 or smaller) , tension( usually you need to reduce the top tension) , and thread is so important. It also matters how the thread is winding off the spool. I use my cone holder as it allows the thread to relax a bit before going through the tension disks. I do not use the invisable thread from JoAnns, way to many issues. I buy from HomeSew or Coltilde. Since you are having a problem every 10 stitches I think you have a tension issue as it is coming off the spool as well as a needle issue.
    I have even used it in the top and bobbin.
    Good point, Lori.I too was advised to use the vertical cone holder for monofilament thread, less obstruction as it unwinds.

i do not use it much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast