Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron on batting >

Iron on batting

Iron on batting

Old 11-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Has anyone used the iron on batting ? I could see using it for the simple fact that at least one side of your quilt would be straight but I wonder what it does to the quilting machine and needles - I would think it would gum up - Has anyone used it before - what are your thoughts?? Thanks Cheryl :D p.s. I am partial to the warm and natural batting of course I have always had my quilts quilted for me - not that I have done very many lol
Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 AM

I bought it and found that it was too stiff for me. It was not soft like the warm and natural.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

oh fusible batting! i've used it just fine. Hobbs heirloom 80/20 fusible. with all batting that comes in a bag all rolled up, there are areas that are stretched a bit. hate that. but otherwise it's fine. i lay out my backing, batting and top.then start in the center and iron/press. then move quilt and do the sides. (i do this on a joann's folding table). then turn over and smooth the backing again and iron/press it in place. i tend to pin the edges for handling under the machine to quilt it.
then when done, i soak the quilt, spin out, soak again and spin. then dry.it's soft after that.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 AM

I used it when teaching beginning quilting & they did not have a walking foot. It worked great for the pot holders. I wanted them to go through the whole process of making a quilt, so I would have them do a 9 patch pot holder.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

there are a number of different fusable battings, all with their own properties. some work better than others just like some batting works for this but not so good for that...some people love them and use nothing but (and not all of them are stiff...some are fluffy as a cloud)
some people do not have luck with them. none should gum up your needle any more than any other fusable that is 'stitchable'. if you are interested in trying them out, pick up a small one you find available and make yourself a tote bag or something..see how you like it.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:26 PM

Not fond of it ... much prefer spray basting. It did not gum up my needle , but it just did not hold as well as spray basting .
Old 11-04-2010, 12:54 AM

Thanks for the input - I usually send out my quilts to be done but my daughter just bought a used quilting machine - want her to do it and was looking for anything that might make her job easier - I might look into the basting spray ~ sounds like a great idea!! Thanks again for all your input!!! cheryl :thumbup: