Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron cord which does NOT curl >

Iron cord which does NOT curl

Iron cord which does NOT curl

Old 05-24-2013, 05:36 AM

Default Iron cord which does NOT curl

I know there have been many threads on irons, but I have never seen my important issue addressed. Does anyone own an iron on which the cord does not curl up. It drives me crazy and I'm hoping someone knows a brand that stays curl free.

Thank you
Old 05-24-2013, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

The cord has a lay to it and if it is attached wrong at the plug end will always curl. I doubt electricians hand wire the cords anymore to be sure each one is correct. But really I haven't had an iron in years that the cord curls.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:55 AM

My Reliable has a little ball at the connection to the iron, it allows the cord to always stay straight.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:39 AM

My 40 yo General Electric iron has never curled. But I've seen other people use the same iron, and the cord curls, so I think it's in the way that it's used.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:34 AM

I think charsue is right. It's kind of like needle and thread. I always wondered why my thread would twist so badly that I would need to let the needle hang so the thread would untwist. I found that I give a slight twist to the needle when I pull it through the fabric, which then twists the thread. I am working on correcting this, but it's harder to unlearn something. Maybe it is as simple as the way you are setting down your iron after you use it.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:28 AM

And I've seen the same thing in telephone cords, particularly the long ones, which no one uses any more (because of portables and cells). I never had a problem with mine twisting, but other people had cords hopelessly twisted.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I think charsue is right. It's kind of like needle and thread. I always wondered why my thread would twist so badly that I would need to let the needle hang so the thread would untwist. I found that I give a slight twist to the needle when I pull it through the fabric, which then twists the thread. I am working on correcting this, but it's harder to unlearn something. Maybe it is as simple as the way you are setting down your iron after you use it.
Try threading the needle this way: Thread needle while still on spool, knot loose end, then pull to length needed and cut end near spool. That helped my twisting problems.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:09 AM

I've never had an iron cord curl either. Having said that I have a new iron that has a nice, long cord.. got it at Walmart (purchased online and picked it up in person) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Deck...urple/16816451
I really like this iron and the cord is long which is awesome. My last B&D had a much shorter cord... and this iron has almost double the wattage as the last one so it gets hotter and does a better job all around.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:22 AM

I have a Shark iron and I have to say the cord has not curled on it. I hardly ever take the iron off of the board, it stays there. If I were taking it off and running the cord around the iron, I might have trouble.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Yarn or Fabric View Post
I've never had an iron cord curl either. Having said that I have a new iron that has a nice, long cord.. got it at Walmart (purchased online and picked it up in person) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Deck...urple/16816451
I really like this iron and the cord is long which is awesome. My last B&D had a much shorter cord... and this iron has almost double the wattage as the last one so it gets hotter and does a better job all around.

I have this same iron and LOVE it!... Love the long cord and the iron works great for me. I would buy another one just like it (if they are still there) when mine quits some day. I have had this one, I think, 4 yrs now. It also has the 1 hour turn off feature. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an iron.