Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
iron on patch question >

iron on patch question

iron on patch question

Old 11-20-2013, 04:57 PM

Default iron on patch question

When I was working on my last quilt I had a problem and there is a spot where the backing was pulled into the bobbin (that problem is solved) but I had this spot on the backing that was ruined. I bought an iron on patch that is perfect. It is the right size and color.. the saying on the patch matches fabric. But when I iron it on the edges don't want to stick. The center seems to sticking fine, but the edges won't. Is there something I can do to make these edges iron on and stick?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Sew around the edges with a blanket stitch
Old 11-20-2013, 05:06 PM

I thought of sewing the edges..but I have it quilted and even finished binding it already and I don't know if I will like how the stitching will look on the front. And I don't know if I have it in me to hand sew it. (unless that is my only option )
Old 11-20-2013, 05:08 PM

I agree, sew it on. Those iron-on patches don't stick worth a darn, in my opinion. My son is a boy scout and I don't even bother ironing them on anymore, because a) they're don't stick and b) he's rising through the ranks so fast I have to keep taking off the old patches and put on the new ones.

I just use a straight stitch just inside the satin stitch on the edge of the patch, in a color that matches. I bet you won't even notice it on the back of the quilt.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I thought of sewing the edges..but I have it quilted and even finished binding it already and I don't know if I will like how the stitching will look on the front. And I don't know if I have it in me to hand sew it. (unless that is my only option )
Sew it on by hand but don't catch the front just the backing. I've never been able to get a sew on patch to stay on without sewing it.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:06 PM

can you wedge a tiny bit of fusible under the free edge? How about a paint brush with a bit of fabric glue?
Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 AM

Just do a small stitch as close to the edge as possible and whip stitch around the edge. I agree with you Peckish! I am constantly sewing on Scout patches and removing them also. Sometimes it seems like the rank patches should be like the military patches and be applied with velcro.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 AM

Ok, thank you for your replies..sounds the like the sewing idea is what I have to do. Better safe than sorry I guess
Old 11-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
I am constantly sewing on Scout patches and removing them also.
Yeah but you know what? I'm not complaining, I LOVE that he loves Scouts and is so motivated. One of the assistant scoutmasters came up to us after the last COH and said in his 9 years of Scouting, he's never seen anyone work so hard and rise so fast in the ranks like our son. My chest was puffed out all the way out to the street.