Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Iron On Patch Quilt - Ideas Needed! >

Iron On Patch Quilt - Ideas Needed!

Iron On Patch Quilt - Ideas Needed!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:47 PM

As a family we have collected iron/sew on patches from places we visited on vacations. My oldest son recently spent 4 months hopping around Europe and greatly added to the collection. We have more than 50 and will probably add more to the collection in the future.

Would like to put them in a quilt, not sure how to do this.
Any ideas for block patterns that could be used, with the possibility of adding more patches in the future?

My thoughts were a snow ball block on point which would leave triangular pieces around the edge for additions in the future.

Your thoughts and ideas will be greatly appreciated! Not sure how soon this will get done but I have to start somewhere~!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM

Sounds like you will have a treasure, and it will bring back a lot of memories as you look at all the patches.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:43 PM

Sometimes a quilt is not a quilt because of weight but perhaps your have a super wall hanging in the making! I might suggest that you look at the square-in-a-square block too, although the snowball block might leave more space per individual block. Of course all those patches are going to be different sizes. As for quilting it, one might consider the quilt-as-you-go method. While I am not affiliated with this site http://www.graspr.com/videos/Quilt-a...other-Method-1 I have used it as an explanation. One day I am going to make a large something with quilt-as-you-go because one could do detailed quilting with small blocks compared to having a large quilt in front and all around the needle.

Good luck and do post your progress.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 AM

The snowball block would give you a couple of options, with the ability to add to later as you suggested. Another one could be offset 9-patch, where the centre block is slightly larger than the rest, to accomodate the patch. Or maybe a pinwheel with the badge/patch sewn in the centre, I could go on and on, sm dresdan plate with badge for centre....