Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Iron temperatures >
  • Iron temperatures

• Iron temperatures

Old 05-07-2016, 03:49 AM

I have recipes that state what various oven or griddle temps are: Low is such and such a range or so many degrees.

I'm wondering that since iron were traditionally heated on a stove if no one bothered to even figure out the equivalents in iron temps. The old irons used to just heat up to the stove temp, or you could take them off before. You could get an infrared thermometer and check.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oven_temperatures.

Old 05-07-2016, 04:48 AM

Making a sample from the scraps of your intended project is your best guide because fusibles vary so much in their instructions and irons are so different. The only guide on your iron is the selection of fabric type. Silk can tolerate the least amount of heat and cottons and linens the most. Synthetics fall in the middle. Nylon melts pretty easily and polyester turns crisp with too much heat. When I use fusibles, regardless of the briand, I use an applique pressing sheet that is some type of teflon. Then, if there is a problem, the mess is on the sheet and not on the iron or ironing board cover. And, the project is not ruined. This is definitely a sticky issue!.
    Old 05-07-2016, 06:14 AM
    Power Poster

I go according to the fabric setting on my irons. They're usually on the dials.
    Old 05-07-2016, 06:21 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog
    Making a sample from the scraps of your intended project is your best guide because fusibles vary so much in their instructions and irons are so different. The only guide on your iron is the selection of fabric type. Silk can tolerate the least amount of heat and cottons and linens the most. Synthetics fall in the middle. Nylon melts pretty easily and polyester turns crisp with too much heat. When I use fusibles, regardless of the briand, I use an applique pressing sheet that is some type of teflon. Then, if there is a problem, the mess is on the sheet and not on the iron or ironing board cover. And, the project is not ruined. This is definitely a sticky issue!.
    Ditto on this. Then you can write yourself a note as to where your best successes were~
    Old 05-07-2016, 07:13 AM
    Power Poster

DH has temp stick crayons he uses in metalwork. They will tell you the temp instantly of any hot metal. The tip will only melt at a certain temp. I use my quick read cooking thermometer. My B&D Classic reads 310 degrees at highest sitting using the quick read.
    Old 05-07-2016, 09:05 AM

Well Duh! Who would have thunk to use a thermometer to check the temp? LOL So logical.
    Old 05-07-2016, 08:51 PM

I have an iron, a Simplicity, that shows the actual temp--the high setting is 200, the lowest is about 110. find it doesn't really steam well without being at high setting.
    Old 05-08-2016, 06:39 AM
    Power Poster

I think the iron has to heat the water to boiling point before a build up of steam can be made to release. If the water isn't hot enough then water comes out with the steam hitting the hot sole plate causing spits and sputters.