Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ironing board cover

I guess it's possible to wear out the padding on an ironing board. . . didn't really expect this to happen, but I need to replace it. I can actually see the pattern of the metal through the cover.

Rather than buying a new one, I was thinking I'd make my own with some fabric I love. I'm not sure what to use for padding. I typically only use low loft cotton or wool battings. Would they work? Or, what about a towel as the padding? Before I started sewing and needed an ironing board, I'd just iron my clothing on a towel on the table. Thoughts?

Blog Entries
    I used cotton batting for a portable ironing surface and it has done very well.

Blog Entries
    yes, I have found lots of links to make for ironing board covers, will post later on this evening for you

Quote Originally Posted by aeble
    I guess it's possible to wear out the padding on an ironing board. . . didn't really expect this to happen, but I need to replace it. I can actually see the pattern of the metal through the cover.

Rather than buying a new one, I was thinking I'd make my own with some fabric I love. I'm not sure what to use for padding. I typically only use low loft cotton or wool battings. Would they work? Or, what about a towel as the padding? Before I started sewing and needed an ironing board, I'd just iron my clothing on a towel on the table. Thoughts?

Thanks Crafty Bear. I did a search to see what had been posted so far, but everything seemed to be focused on the cover and not the padding itself.

I saw an adorable tutorial on a blog where a lady had taken a wooden TV tray table she found on clearance. Cut several pieces of batting the size of the top and stacked them. She cut a rectangle of her choice of cover fabric 4 inches larger than the table top all the way around. She laid the cover fabric on a work surface right side down, centered the stack of batting pieces on top of that and then put the tv table upside down on top of that, folded the fabric tightly around to the bottom side of table and secured with a staple gun. Due to the wood's hardness, staples didn't go all the way in, but she finished driving them in with a small hammer. She said it made a perfect foldable ironing table to sit by her sewing machine and use while piecing quilt tops. You couldn't use this to iron your clothes of course, but I thought it sounded perfect for pressing seams as you piece.

I use batting also, theres a cute tute on modabakeshop.com

I used a towel double folded and then a piece of cotton fabric on top. I like it as it far more washable than the store bought covers.

Blog Entries
    I have used old towels,and blankets

mim
    I bought my fav ironing board cover in Melbourne Australia at a market. It has Aussi animals and birds and bright colors. My friends thought I was nuts -- On a backpacking holiday and I buy an ironing board cover?? !!! LOL

I wouldn't trade it for the world. I remember that holiday every time I press seams -- the only time I iron

Make the cover with a fabric you love. Look into heat resistant material for the first "batting" and then something soft. The first one will protect the soft one.

Banned
    it deends on how much loft or padding you want. I used two layers of warm and natural and then the cover.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast