Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: ironing embroidery blocks

  1. #1
    PALS65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    253
    I am making the Quilt Barn embroidery blocks. How would you iron them? I did use Hobbs batting behind the blocks.
    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Super Member Maride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    2,883
    Did you just finish the embroidery or are you piecing? Did you use the batting as stabilizer?

  3. #3
    PALS65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Maride
    Did you just finish the embroidery or are you piecing? Did you use the batting as stabilizer?
    I just finished the embroidery. I don't want to iron it on top cause it will flatten the embroidery. I have never use batting before but both the pattern and the LQS said to use it. From what I hear some people use fusible batting, some spray baste etc.

  4. #4
    Super Member earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    8,838
    I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the technique of the batting...but anyway, when you iron embroidery you need to do it from the back. Put a thick fluffy towel on your ironing board, then lay your embroidery face down and press gently, use a pressing cloth if necessary and that will prevent your work from flattening.

  5. #5
    PALS65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the technique of the batting...but anyway, when you iron embroidery you need to do it from the back. Put a thick fluffy towel on your ironing board, then lay your embroidery face down and press gently, use a pressing cloth if necessary and that will prevent your work from flattening.
    I haven't embroidered in years but everyone says they do it so that the threads don't show could that be possible?

  6. #6
    Super Member earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    8,838
    Quote Originally Posted by PALS65
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the technique of the batting...but anyway, when you iron embroidery you need to do it from the back. Put a thick fluffy towel on your ironing board, then lay your embroidery face down and press gently, use a pressing cloth if necessary and that will prevent your work from flattening.
    I haven't embroidered in years but everyone says they do it so that the threads don't show could that be possible?
    Hmm, I see, but if you don't carry your threads I wouldn't have thought it a problem. Anyway, would be interesting to see what everyone else has to say. There have been a lot of quilts featuring embroidery lately, so if you don't get enough feedback with this thread, you might try pm to some of the quilters who have posted pics of theirs.

    Would love to see what you have been working on (I love pics.).

  7. #7
    PALS65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    Quote Originally Posted by PALS65
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker
    I'm not quite sure I'm understanding the technique of the batting...but anyway, when you iron embroidery you need to do it from the back. Put a thick fluffy towel on your ironing board, then lay your embroidery face down and press gently, use a pressing cloth if necessary and that will prevent your work from flattening.
    I haven't embroidered in years but everyone says they do it so that the threads don't show could that be possible?
    Hmm, I see, but if you don't carry your threads I wouldn't have thought it a problem. Anyway, would be interesting to see what everyone else has to say. There have been a lot of quilts featuring embroidery lately, so if you don't get enough feedback with this thread, you might try pm to some of the quilters who have posted pics of theirs.

    Would love to see what you have been working on (I love pics.).
    Thanks so much I will do that. I am good friends with the LQS owner so I could ask her too. I am doing a wall hanging with the Quilt Barns on it.

  8. #8
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    When doing red work or other embroidery work by hand I back it with pellon (or batting). I press from the back, if i don't want to place the iron on the pellon, I use either a pressing cloth or applique sheet.

  9. #9
    PALS65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by brushandthimble
    When doing red work or other embroidery work by hand I back it with pellon (or batting). I press from the back, if i don't want to place the iron on the pellon, I use either a pressing cloth or applique sheet.
    That should keep the embroidery from flattening right?

  10. #10
    Super Member brushandthimble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    North of Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    3,630
    under the stitched piece, I use a bath towel folded into fourths. It may flatten a little, but not to much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.