Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing right beside sewing machine? >

Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Ironing right beside sewing machine?

Old 10-03-2009, 12:23 PM

We are in St. Paul. Every time I turn around a quilt shop closes. So I have to be content with JoAnn and Hancock! I found an exceptional quilt shop that quilts. It is called Quilt Yourself. It is located in Savage. You can either have them do the quilting for you or you can rent the machine and take a few lessons on how to do it! I'll just let them do it for me. I just took in a quilt a few days ago. I found some fantastic fabric - batik multi colored. My mother says that she heard Vern Yip (he's on HGTV) say that something looked like Rainbow Throw Up. Well, it's spewed like that, but it matches every color I used. My plan was to not use any fabric at all, except for the sashing, backing, border and binding, more than once. I kdid just that. I made a sampler quilt with 35 different blocks - 5 across/7 down. And then when I got to the shop I wasn't sure on a thread I asked if they had a variegated thread. She hauled one out and that was it! It matched every color in the border. I'll get it back on November 15. Can't wait. I have the binding all put together, ironed and ready for when I get the quilt.

Now I am working on a quilt for my husband and I. It is a Floating Star Scrappy quilt. I am using up more of my stash.

Got my bird seed, so I am all set to go.

Are you young or old like I am! Not at the doddering stage yet, but getting there. GO SEW! Edie
Old 10-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Nzm

HI - your quilt sounds amazing.. make sure you post the pics for us to see. AND also the one for your hubby. I heard about the the quilt shop that lets you use their machine, but they were a tad pricey for the lessons $150.00 - I can understand them wanting one to take lessons and charge, but by the time you do that, and then pay like $25+ per hour, you might as well let them do it.. just my opinion!! [ inexpensive as it may sound]
I decided to use my Singer embroidery machine to do quilt designs on the stack and whack quilt I just finished for my daughter.. Im terrible as free motion quilting, but am determined to get better...Practice, Practice I hear.
I am retired and will be eligible for medicare in a couple years..
Old 10-03-2009, 02:43 PM

I paid $130.00 to have our son and dil's quilt done. I know I couldn't do it and it is cheaper than taking the lessons. I have a friend who bought the quilting frame from JoAnn's and she is doing a king size Double Wedding Ring quilt by hand for her daughter and sil's 25th anniversary = 2 years from now.

I just turned 71 - I feel young except when I wash floors on my hands and knees. I got the old art-ritis in the big toe and when you bend that puppy, it hurts like sin :( But I keep right on a'scrubbin'! Sounds dumb, but I get a lot of thinkin' and prayin' done on my hands and knees!

I had the notion to do some baking today, so I got a loaf of zucchini nut bread, banana nut bread and a pumpkin pie made for dessert tonight. Tired as all get out, but it sure smells good in here.

You have a good evening. I am going to make a few blocks tonight. Edie
Old 10-05-2009, 06:14 AM

:D [b]Hey, there. Just wanted to say that I have a regular ironing board next to my sewing machine, and simply turn it sideways next to me when I am sewing.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:23 AM

deleted by me!
Old 10-05-2009, 06:35 AM

sorry about the deleted post - figured that it was more a PM message than a public message!
anyway, I tried those little irons and didn't like them at all. Last year I bought this at the Sewing/Quilting Expo here in MN. I dont really use it unless I am on my quilt retreat since my iron at home is set up fairly close to my machine (and like others, I chain stitch so i can go awhile without having to iron). I love the hobby iron (make sure it has been recalibrated for pr specifically made for quilting) and is a gadget I would have a hard time giving up for retreat!

http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...ns/hobbico.php
Old 10-05-2009, 07:14 AM
Nzm

how do you do a pm?
Old 10-05-2009, 07:24 AM

I don't even know what you mean! PM - Edie
Old 10-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nzm
how do you do a pm?
PM is private message. If you want to send a private message to someone, click on their name above their avatar and it will bring you to "their" screen, and under their name/avatar is a button that says "PM" - click on that and you will be able to send a message to them!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Shelly, I had to laugh when I read your post. I was working on a large quilt and had to get up and iron every few minutes. The next day my thighs were sore and I couldn't remember what exercise I had done to deserve that. I still keep my ironing board a few feet from my sewing so that I have to get up. Maybe I can count it as aerobic?? LOL