Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ironing surface >

ironing surface

ironing surface

Old 10-11-2010, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
I know a lot of you have large ironing boards that you have made. My ? is if you use a piece of wood and cotton batting and canvas for the top..does'nt the sream from the ironsoak through to the wood? I want to make one that I can put on top of two ironing boards
I made mine about 8 years ago. Took a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood - good on 1 side. Had them cut off a 3' x 4' section from one end. Then had a cut made down the middle. That makes 2 - 2' x 5' pieces. Enough to share, which I did.

I then put down 3 layers of Fairfield Cotton Classic batting and covered the whole thing with white canvas duck fabric. Staple-gunned the heck out of it. I turned the board over on the floor. I turned my antique ironing board over on top of it and screwed 1" x 2" pieces around it to keep it from sliding around.

I did not drill any holes in the top, but I suppose you could. This baby has served me very well. It isn't warped as I think the board is so thick, the steam can't penetrate all the way through. It is heavy though. I have replaced the top fabric & batting twice. I had to replace the batting as it sticks to the canvas when you pull it off. The only reason I replaced it was I didn't like looking at the water stains. I'm thinking about using denim next time.

I am in love with my surface. Bonus is that you can take to top off when you need to really "iron" something like a blouse. I haven't had to do that much as I can usually fix the blouse on a corner that works just fine.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:02 PM

When I'm sitting at the machine piecing blocks. I use a wooden TV tray with towel over it. That keeps me from jumping up & down.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:57 PM

I cut a piece of pine about 20x18 inchs, covered it with several layers of batting & topped with a heavy piece of muslin...There are no holes for the steam...but I used the first one for about three years before it became a little warped...no problem, simply turned it over...covered with more batting and muslin and I figure I am good for another three years...It is the right size to put up on my sewing table, iron my block..and put the board down side my sewing table until I need it for the next piece.
Old 10-12-2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Randa
Ironing boards used to be wooden. I have two that are very old, but sturdier than the aluminum ones. One is in the sewing room and the other in the laundry room. The ironing platform made for the one in the sewing room is made of wood also and not protected by foil, insulate or anything. I use it lots, and have not had problems.
I agree with the wood....try pricing them today on Ebay and you will choke. I'm a believer that many of the older ways were the absolute best!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
I know a lot of you have large ironing boards that you have made. My ? is if you use a piece of wood and cotton batting and canvas for the top..does'nt the sream from the ironsoak through to the wood? I want to make one that I can put on top of two ironing boards
I made mine about 8 years ago. Took a 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" plywood - good on 1 side. Had them cut off a 3' x 4' section from one end. Then had a cut made down the middle. That makes 2 - 2' x 5' pieces. Enough to share, which I did.

I then put down 3 layers of Fairfield Cotton Classic batting and covered the whole thing with white canvas duck fabric. Staple-gunned the heck out of it. I turned the board over on the floor. I turned my antique ironing board over on top of it and screwed 1" x 2" pieces around it to keep it from sliding around.

I did not drill any holes in the top, but I suppose you could. This baby has served me very well. It isn't warped as I think the board is so thick, the steam can't penetrate all the way through. It is heavy though. I have replaced the top fabric & batting twice. I had to replace the batting as it sticks to the canvas when you pull it off. The only reason I replaced it was I didn't like looking at the water stains. I'm thinking about using denim next time.

I am in love with my surface. Bonus is that you can take to top off when you need to really "iron" something like a blouse. I haven't had to do that much as I can usually fix the blouse on a corner that works just fine.
Great idea! I have an old wood ironing board from my aunt that I haven't wanted to part with but didn't quite know what to do with, it's in the attic, but's coming down now. Thanks for the idea.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 PM

If you go to a "big box store" like Home Depot or Menards and give them the dimensions you want, they will cut a piece of plywood for you and you don't have to wait for DH for 3 years and 10 minutes to do it!! Secondly, use "outdoor" plywood and the steam won't affect it for many, many years. Foil would work I guess if you are concerned but I have had the large piece to put over my regular board now for about 5 years and I haven't noticed any issues with it. I did use one layer of insul-brite and I believe one layer of warm and natural batting but I think just one layer only might be better. Too much cushion and one does not get as sharp of a pressing ability. I have read where some gals like just like one layer of upholstry fabric only so you have a very hard surface for pressing. I guess a lot of it is personal preference.
Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie
Ditto on the foil covering over the wood! :-)
Hey that is a good idea! Now if I can get Hubby to cut the piece of wood for me. I will just have to keep bugging him this weekend LOL
Old 10-12-2010, 12:43 PM

I have use the aluminum foil on my regular ironing board right under the cover so it will reflect the heat back into the fabric.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by poultney
I have use the aluminum foil on my regular ironing board right under the cover so it will reflect the heat back into the fabric.
I really think what you are doing by putting foil under the pad like that or using a board with out wholes is a real hazard as the steam is going to go side ways and someone is going to end up getting really steam scalded. We have a lot of new people to quilting every day and we want to be sure what we post on this board that what we are doing is a safe method. Ironing boards have changed over many years and so have steam irons. The ironing boards these days have been designed with the open lattace so the steam goes down to prevent being steam scalded. Just remember this if you suggest things like this on the board and someone gets hurt you can be held responsable and sewed.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:25 AM

I'm going to an antique market this weekend and will look for a wooden ironing board - I think it may be just what I "need" :)
Old 10-13-2010, 12:15 PM

I'm not suggesting that anyone do what I have done by putting the aluminum foil under the cover. I am just saying that I have done this and have not had any problems. It's your choice if you want to try it. I think any comments we make on any of the topics are what we do and everyone has to make the decision whether they want to try it.