Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Irons

Question Irons

Please give me some input on purchasing a new iron. I have had several and everyone seems to have a problem. Is the Reliant a good one? I currently have a Shark and I only use distilled water as we have well water and it can hurt an iron. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

A quilting Pilgrim

Jim
    My next iron will be from Home Depot a regular iron...no steam ...I've only heard good things about it..including the price at about $28
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

My latest one is a Black & Decker, from WalMart. I also use distilled water, for the same reason.

i never put water in my irons- i hate sputtering/spitting/leaking irons! i keep a spray bottle of water on the end of my ironing board- when my fabrics need a little steam or a spritz to get wrinkles out i pick up the spray bottle & spritz.
    my 'favorite' irons are ones that stay on- hot- while i am using them- i hate the ones that shut themselves off- while i am sewing! i always unplug my iron when i leave the room (i set it at cotton & it stays there- i never actually shut it off- just pull the plug)
    i've had the best luck with my $19 black & decker.
    i have an expensive ($159) iron in my closet---which i hate---i've found my 'cheapy' irons last 3-5 years- and i feel it is ok when they finally give up & i have to replace them- they are on for hours at a time day after day---
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I'm one of the oddballs here that love my Rowenta. I've had 2 over the last 20+ years. Read the instructions as some Rowentas want distilled water and some want tap water regardless of the tap water content. It (IMO) does make a difference as to how it performs. Mine is now having cord issues and unless DH wants to deal with them, will buy another Rowenta. I use it for both quilting and clothing because I'm a dinosaur!

I can't find the Reliant brand of iron. Do you mean the Reliable Corp. Digital Velocity Iron? I have it, and the good thing is that you can bypass the auto turn-off feature, or use it, whichever you want, and the steam system is much better than other steam irons I've tried.

I am an oddball, have had my rowenta for over 5 years got it for 60 at target, a germany made one, use 1/2 tap 1/2 distilled because I have hard water and it asks for tap. Will but another when this one dies. It has been the best iron I ever used, don't know if they make my model anymore

Blog Entries
    I have 3 irons; a Reliable Digital Velocity - love it. A Dritz Petite Press for pressing seams next to my sewing machine - love it. And a lightweight, inexpensive Hamilton Beach for hubby to iron his shirts with. I used to have a Black & Decker that I really liked, but I dropped it.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have the Reliable Velocity and love the steam. It roars when I push the steam button. It has a by-pass so it can stay on as long as I want. But, the controls are at the top of the handle and I'm always somehow pushing the one that controls the heat so when I go back to use it, it's on the lowest heat setting. I'm trying to be more conscience and hold it towards the bottom of the handle, but I still hit the "heat" button. Other than that, it's my favorite iron I have ever had. And it holds twice the water as the usual iron.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I have the no steam iron from here: http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...-dry-iron.html

Home Depot no longer sells the no steam iron.
    Got fabric?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast