Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Irons >

Irons

Irons

Old 05-18-2012, 07:06 PM

Question Irons

Please give me some input on purchasing a new iron. I have had several and everyone seems to have a problem. Is the Reliant a good one? I currently have a Shark and I only use distilled water as we have well water and it can hurt an iron. Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

A quilting Pilgrim
Old 05-18-2012, 07:11 PM
Jim

My next iron will be from Home Depot a regular iron...no steam ...I've only heard good things about it..including the price at about $28
Old 05-18-2012, 08:26 PM

My latest one is a Black & Decker, from WalMart. I also use distilled water, for the same reason.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Power Poster

i never put water in my irons- i hate sputtering/spitting/leaking irons! i keep a spray bottle of water on the end of my ironing board- when my fabrics need a little steam or a spritz to get wrinkles out i pick up the spray bottle & spritz.
my 'favorite' irons are ones that stay on- hot- while i am using them- i hate the ones that shut themselves off- while i am sewing! i always unplug my iron when i leave the room (i set it at cotton & it stays there- i never actually shut it off- just pull the plug)
i've had the best luck with my $19 black & decker.
i have an expensive ($159) iron in my closet---which i hate---i've found my 'cheapy' irons last 3-5 years- and i feel it is ok when they finally give up & i have to replace them- they are on for hours at a time day after day---
Old 05-19-2012, 05:31 AM

I'm one of the oddballs here that love my Rowenta. I've had 2 over the last 20+ years. Read the instructions as some Rowentas want distilled water and some want tap water regardless of the tap water content. It (IMO) does make a difference as to how it performs. Mine is now having cord issues and unless DH wants to deal with them, will buy another Rowenta. I use it for both quilting and clothing because I'm a dinosaur!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

I can't find the Reliant brand of iron. Do you mean the Reliable Corp. Digital Velocity Iron? I have it, and the good thing is that you can bypass the auto turn-off feature, or use it, whichever you want, and the steam system is much better than other steam irons I've tried.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:23 AM

I am an oddball, have had my rowenta for over 5 years got it for 60 at target, a germany made one, use 1/2 tap 1/2 distilled because I have hard water and it asks for tap. Will but another when this one dies. It has been the best iron I ever used, don't know if they make my model anymore
Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 AM

I have 3 irons; a Reliable Digital Velocity - love it. A Dritz Petite Press for pressing seams next to my sewing machine - love it. And a lightweight, inexpensive Hamilton Beach for hubby to iron his shirts with. I used to have a Black & Decker that I really liked, but I dropped it.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:02 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have the Reliable Velocity and love the steam. It roars when I push the steam button. It has a by-pass so it can stay on as long as I want. But, the controls are at the top of the handle and I'm always somehow pushing the one that controls the heat so when I go back to use it, it's on the lowest heat setting. I'm trying to be more conscience and hold it towards the bottom of the handle, but I still hit the "heat" button. Other than that, it's my favorite iron I have ever had. And it holds twice the water as the usual iron.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Power Poster

I have the no steam iron from here: http://www.always-free-shipping.com/...-dry-iron.html

Home Depot no longer sells the no steam iron.