Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
IRONS >

IRONS

IRONS

Old 09-14-2007, 03:14 PM

Can anyone advise me on a good-quality iron that doesn't have the "auto shut off feature"? i've been turning irons off for 50 years now and don't need an iron to make that decision for me. Or else, does anyone know if the feature could be disabled without harming the iron's basic function...please, help an old lady!
Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM

I know what you mean about an automatic shut off Iron. It is frustrating to go to use it and it has shut itself off. I have gotten several nice Black and Deckers at my local thrift store. They are the older ones that are black with a teal on and off switch. Just make sure you plug it in and see if it still works.

Debbie
Old 09-14-2007, 04:24 PM

My Rowenta Pro shuts off, but heats up again so fast, it's amazing. The blast of steam easily goes through 6 layers of cloth. The cheap irons always used to go bad on me and boil over.

I hate ironing, so this lets me get it done faster
Old 09-14-2007, 04:42 PM

I have a Rowenta and a Sunbeam, w/auto shutoff. Both are good. :D
Old 09-14-2007, 08:48 PM

I have a Rowenta Pro and love it.. but it is dying... I have truly worn it out.. and dropping it on the floor a few times hasn't helped! LOL! I plan on getting another Rowenta. This one has last 15 years and seen an amazing amount of usuage.. not only do I use it for quilting, I also iron a ton of clothes each week! Barb C
Old 09-14-2007, 08:54 PM

I have a Rowenta Power Glide. It is a few years old but still works wonderfully. It shuts off automatically but it heats up real fast.
Pam
Old 09-15-2007, 06:41 AM

I also have the auto shut off, but so far have had no problems. When I am working in there, I hear it shut off. But the best part about it is this: When I leave the room I know that I don't have to worry about forgetting to shut it off. I know that it will shut off by itself. To me that is worth putting up with a little annoyance.

Rita
Old 09-15-2007, 07:18 AM

I have gone through a few Rowenta Pro irons, too. They are wonderful, but they don't last long. and they so often LEAK! :x My very first one did not shut off automatically, but my last two do. I would like to find another one without that feature.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Boo

Please listen to me!!!! :!: !!!! I will never again have an iron without auto shut off and caution anyone who pieces to do the same. I also thought it was frustrating to wait for iron to reheat, until the day that the part where the cord attaches to the iron started shooting out sparks. The iron was between me and the wall, and the only way I could unplug it was to crawl on hands and knees to the outlet. The curtains had to be replaced because of burn marks, and it really did almost start a fire! When I sew it is a marathon event, so the iron is plugged in all day. I have also burned out every one that didn't have auto shut off. This got to be quite expensive, including a Rowenta Pro that cost me $120. Pam got a new iron at a show called the Oslo or something like that. Anyway, it does have auto shut off, but also has these feet that pop out when you take hand off iron. I have gotten so used to that iron and the speed in which it heats up, that I am getting one for home. You don't ever have to stand it upright because of the feet, which makes it great for doing long seam presses.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:41 PM

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one frustrated with these new-fangled appliances, but, based on the responses I'm gettingh re this problem, it's starting to look like I'm just going to suck it up and adjust. thanks for answering me