Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ISO: sailboat block suitable for a beginner

ISO: sailboat block suitable for a beginner

My dad just told me, somewhat sheepishly, that he's bought himself another sailboat. This one is his biggest yet, and has a tiny cabin/bunk, which is why he wanted it. (He says he's going to spend his summer either doing the Erie Canal, or the Great Circle. I say both, knowing him.) His birthday is in March, and I'd like to make him a quilt for his boat.

So now I'm looking for a sailboat block. I'm finding lots, but the problem is I can't tell what would be doable for me, the beginner, and what's over my head. I'd like one boat, two sails (I've seen pirate ship-type blocks), no paper piecing (which seems to be most of what I'm finding). Directions on how to make the block are a must-I have no idea how to figure it out by looking at it. A block pattern, a whole quilt pattern or a book would all be fine.

Anybody got any ideas?
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Blog Entries
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I would suggest you try and do some "sample" blocks and see which ones you like doing. Applique is also a possibility. That way you can make your own graphic. Don't discard the idea of paper piecing. It is a great way to get a beautiful looking block ......stretch yourself.....you never know what you can create

I like ERSTAN947's ideas - test and practice.

I love paper piecing. I believe it is easy enough for a beginner. Here is a link to a YouTube video that might help you:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bc1mU0LMF8

And here is a decent online tutorial for paper piecing a sail boat (I like this one's shape better than the You Tube one):
    http://www.blockcentral.com/a-fpp1.shtml

And one more:
    http://www.preservinghomebasics.com/...s-quilt-block/

Good luck!!!
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

Thanks for all the suggestions! Guess I ought to look into paper piecing-that video makes it look doable.
    -Karen
    There's no such thing as too many sewing machines!

Blog Entries
    I just did my first sail boat pattern for the underground railroad quilt and it was so easy. Mine looks just like the one
    Auntpiggylph told you about above.
    Quilting with a friend keeps me in stitches.

Trish

There is a regularly pieced sailboat block in the book 'Quilts, Quilts and More Quilts!' by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes. Did this for a LQS BOM a couple of years ago. Quite easy but it does have more sails in it than you are looking for. Perhaps your local library has the book and you could adapt????

Just take your time and you will be able to make some nice blocks. A really good idea doe dad.

Here's a sailboat quilt I did for my boss.. just the topper.. went pretty easy and fast. Have fun doing one for your Dad, that is awesome!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass......It's learning how to dance in the rain!

here is one that is designed for Project Linus. http://www.quiltmaker.com/patterns/projectlinus.html
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat