Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Itchy quilt >

Itchy quilt

Itchy quilt

Old 01-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Default Itchy quilt

I have inherited two quilts, I"m guessing about 50 yrs old if not older. I had no idea what to do with them, but they are both in need of repairs. In the meantime, it's cold so I've been sleeping under one of them and all of a sudden my legs have bites on them and it itches when I get into bed. So I removed the quilt and the itching and bites have stopped, but I'm wondering what in the world it could have been. It's obviously the quilt, and it couldn't be wool itching (I don't know what the fabric is) because there was a sheet and another blanket between me and the quilt.

Any ideas what the problem could be, and more importantly, how to solve it? The quilts were made by my stepmother's grandmother, and I hate to get rid of them, just because of my love of quilts - I never knew the woman. But these quilts are in very bad shape and I'm afraid to launder them...

Any ideas?
Old 01-21-2014, 10:21 AM
Power Poster

would dry cleaning help. I don't know if that would keep them in better shape than a washing would. you could always just lay them in a tub and press out the water by hand and see if that helps. sounds like it's fleas or something. let us know when you figure it out.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:33 AM
Power Poster

If it is fleas or bedbugs, some of them could have taken up residence in your bed by now.

Can you post photos of the quilts?

Unless there are a lot of large holes where the batting could come out, I would risk washing the quilts individually in a top-loading washing machine. Just make ***certain*** to stop the machine before it agitates. Hand agitate instead (you can use a broomstick to push down on the quilt), and advance the machine to the spin cycle after both wash and rinse cycles. I would use extra cycles too. Any mild laundry detergent will be okay. I just wouldn't use too much of it at one time. I would maybe do two wash cycles with a little detergent in each one, and then rinse several times too.

To dry, lay on a large clean bedsheet -- outside is fine as long as it is on grass and in the shade (sunlight is hard on fabrics). Cover with another sheet to keep sunlight and bird droppings off the quilt while it dries.

It's possible that something other than critters irritated your legs, but the fact that it looks like bites is not good.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:11 PM

My first thought is bedbugs.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Seal it in a plastic tote quick and move it to the garage! If it is either fleas or bedbugs, this can be the start of an epidemic. Fleas you can handle by washing everything and a good vacuum. Someone else posted some remedies in a flea post this year. Bedbugs are a whole other ball game! They will take an exterminator. Sure hope it's not them!!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:33 PM

If it's bedbugs - need to find a way to get them into a very hot environment - at least 140 degrees or so - for about 3 hours I think. That's what we do when the nasty critters show up in apartments.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:45 PM

Oh Wow, Bedbugs are the first thing I thought of. I hope not!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM

One of my quilt collector acquaintances put all of her newly acquired quilts in one of her freezers. That way there will be no critter contamination. You might want to give it a try. You could put them in plastic bags in the garage til you have room in your - or a friend's - freezer.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:06 PM

My first thought was bedbugs as well. Fleas a good second. I would agree with Prism99 with the washing process if they are not too badly damaged. If you can't manage agitating by hand, try using the delicate cycle on your machine.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:30 PM
yel

Here is a check for fleas ......get a shallow dish put some water in it with some dish soap [a little more than what you would wash dishes with but not what the kids blow bubbles with ] put a small light over the dish turn out all the lights .............the fleas will jump for the light and land in the soapy water and not be able to get out ......over night is enough to se how many of those pesky critters you have