Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Items for sale? >

Items for sale?

Items for sale?

Old 11-04-2011, 04:15 AM

Default Items for sale?

Can't find the list of items for sale as in the past. I look under "Yard Sale" and there isn't any items. I must be looking the wrong place.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:32 AM

I looked and it looks like there is a "yard sale" section, a "for sale or trade" section, and an "in search of" section. They are all separate.

It seems to me that the super-specialized categories will take away our ability to help each other with trades and "in search of" problems. If these categories were together (as they have been in the past), if I go to see what is for sale, I will also see the titles of the posts from people offering trades and looking for specific items...and I would click on them if they interest me and possibly be able to help. HOWEVER (not that I don't want to help) but it is not completely natural for me to spend my time clicking on multiple categories... I'm not going to make it a point to check the category for people "ISO" items, or people looking to grade. These people are going to lose out on people who might be able to help them. As I said, if these categories were combined, the people "ISO" items and willing to trade would probably have more success finding them items they're looking for! The way these categoreis are super sub-specialized is just not natural and conducive to an enjoyable experience on this board.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:45 AM

I don't know if this helps but in the "guidelines for selling", in the section "Items for Sale or Trade" it is mentioned, "Ads will remain visible for 7 days and then be retired to the archives." Not sure where the archives are - but does this help with your search?

I figured it out only after stumbling on it. Apparently there is a "parent" section - "Members Only Thrift Shop and Yard Sale" with two sub sections - one is the ISO and the other Items for Sale or Trade.

I think too that the new rules state that the moderator needs to approve any posts (I assume new "for sale" posts) before they are public. Based on the age of the posts in there, I'd bet that the moderator(s) are swamped so not many new things have posted yet.

I'm sort of liking the split of subjects. I like to donate and chip in to help people with ISO's. Before, on the old board, they were sort of mixed in and about with the sale/trade things. I was able to help one person this morning with 2.5" squares. It was quick and easy and for the cost of a few stamps I can send her want she needs. If I have some extra quilt cash then I can zip to the sale/trade and shop to my hearts content.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:50 AM

[QUOTE=eeraemore;4629208].
It seems to me that the super-specialized categories will take away our ability to help each other with trades and "in search of" problems. QUOTE]

Sounds like a bad 'marketing plan' for ISO and trade
Old 11-04-2011, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by CarrieC View Post
I think too that the new rules state that the moderator needs to approve any posts (I assume new "for sale" posts) before they are public.
Can you provide a link where the rules are? I was wondering (and don't have/didn't have time to find out) if we have to just 'ask for approval to sell' or if we have to send them 'pictures and pricing of items' before we list them. Anyone tried to sell since the new rules took hold?

Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 05:26 AM

There will not be any "new" selling until the 5th of November. When the board changed format they closed/suspended all of the classifed sales on October 30th , till November 5th.
I'm not sure exactly how it will work with having moderator approval prior the listing of sale items. Maybe when the thread is created it will be "held" until the moderator sees it /approves then it will be posted.
Ads once in place will only be on the site for a week or 10 days ( I can't remeber the exact number of days). I am sure this is to keep the classifed/for sale area clear of closed sales ... I imagine keeping all those old and closed sales with all the phots attachments took alot of space on the server computer.

Last edited by Lori S; 11-04-2011 at 05:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:09 AM

I have been searching for sale items too. I can hardly wait for it to come back.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinghere View Post
Can you provide a link where the rules are? I was wondering (and don't have/didn't have time to find out) if we have to just 'ask for approval to sell' or if we have to send them 'pictures and pricing of items' before we list them. Anyone tried to sell since the new rules took hold?

Thanks
Guidelines for Selling: http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...g-t165382.html

If they work it as they did during testing, you write out your post as always and submit it. Then you get a message box saying it will be held for approval (or something like that) and then it goes up when approved.

The use of sub-forums makes things easier, not harder, to find since it separates ISO threads from offering threads.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

It was helpful when the Requests for Donations/Donations (PIF) was separated from the For Sale and ISO in the "old classifieds"

I think it will be easier to use the subcategories now - the challenge is to get people to read the rules, and post things in the most appropriate place.

An example of an ambiguous post:

In Main - "I'm looking for xyz fabric" - Is the poster just wanting to get suggestions of where to buy xyz fabric from a commercial source - or is she asking members if they have any available to beg, buy, or barter to get

If the poster is ONLY interested in commercial sources, I think Main is the proper place to put the item.

If the poster is wanting the members to look in their stashes, then I think the Yard Sale section would be a better to place to post the item.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:58 AM

so after the alotted time period (7 or 10 days or whatever it is), then someone can't asked to purchase you stuff anymore? Where is archives...and who has access to it.

I have had people, in the past, ask to buy items that were OPEN classified posts from months prior...so I know people do serach for things in there.

Hopefully I didn't lose all my pictures of the posts I had...I delete them off my camera after I post them, because I use to be able to re-copy them off the QB classified if I needed them again.