Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
It's time for a Featherweight! >

It's time for a Featherweight!

It's time for a Featherweight!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Kas

Well, after my saga this past spring, it is finally time for a Featherweight! I am so excited, but torn. Ebay is hard for me because you have to decide which one you are going for. And if one that ends before the one you really want but it is sweet as well, which one do you bid on? I really want a white one, but the one I am looking at is already at $300. A bit rich for me. But there is a tan one with 5 days left that is really sweet. But the tan ones seem to go for much more. And before the white one, there is a Centennial that has cherry decals, lots of attachments that I might actually be able to win. It doesn't have the scroll face that I love, but I really like the intact decals. And then a few days later, there is a really nice scroll face with the chrome hand wheel. What to do? What to do?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:26 AM

I found one at a local antique mall that was priced the same as on eBay, and I didn't have to pay shipping. Try to find one local first. Black ones are the least expensive, for sure. Cherry decals? I have never seen a FW with anything other than basic decals. Be sure it's a genuine FW!!!

And the scroll face machines are the older machines. The straight lines faces started in late 1940's.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I found one at a local antique mall that was priced the same as on eBay, and I didn't have to pay shipping. Try to find one local first. Black ones are the least expensive, for sure. Cherry decals? I have never seen a FW with anything other than basic decals. Be sure it's a genuine FW!!!

And the scroll face machines are the older machines. The straight lines faces started in late 1940's.
Cherry decals - I think she means "cherry" as in really sweet, great looking, great condition decals.

Did Featherweights have chrome handwheels?
Old 07-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
Originally Posted by jljack

Cherry decals - I think she means "cherry" as in really sweet, great looking, great condition decals.

Did Featherweights have chrome handwheels?
Sorry! By "cherry" I meant in perfect condition. And yes, the older ones had chrome handwheels and scroll faces. It was in the mid to late '40's that they changed to the face plate with the straight lines.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:46 AM

When I have watched the color ones always go for a price more than what is in my pocket. IMOP the black ones are more affordable............and mine are nice..........calla
Old 07-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Kas

Do you prefer the scroll face or the striated?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:39 PM
Power Poster

Hi Kas, Ebay bidding can be frustrating. I think the bottom line is to bid the highest you are willing to go and then walk away.
You WILL find one, it's just a matter of time :D
The tan are rare, I doubt you'd get one that isn't pricey, but maybe a white one?
They are all fantastic. I sew on mine every day. My Bernina is getting lonesome :D
Old 07-29-2011, 01:49 PM

I bought my first Featherweight on eBay. I bid on 4 or 5 before I got the one I won. I had a max price, and that was all I was willing to pay. There are lots and lots of FWs on eBay, so you really just have to not get impatient or above your wallet.

The second FW I bought was found on Craigslist. I liked that better since I was able to try it out before I bought it.

Pam
Old 07-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Kas

Thanks, guys. Even though I like the Centennial, I think I am going to bid on the 1940 with the scroll face and chrome wheel. I really like that look the best. Of course, my DH came home early and saw the 500a I got for $10 at a garage sale last month and have been hiding. I guess I can work on it in the open, now, but he is ticked at all the old machines piling up! I have 2 redeyes, one plain 66, a black 301, a White rotary treadle, a mint green kenmore (my daughters ;) ), my old Pfaff and my Bernina. That isn't too many, is it?
Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

I finally got my FW from Dave's Featherweight Factory, and she is gorgeous! 1947, with a chrome hand wheel and great decals!