Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I've turned into a fabric snob! >

I've turned into a fabric snob!

I've turned into a fabric snob!

Old 01-29-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Mrs. SewNSew View Post
You make a very good point!

I agree with you Cindy. Few and far between. My local store is Beverly fabrics and they have some good and some bad so you have to pick through it. There is a store called Bolt in Cloverdale, one called Fabrications in Healdsburg, and Village Fabrics in Santa Rosa. Village just opened shop here but it's small and they don't have as good a selection. I have also heard Fat Quail in Laytonville is good quality but I have never been there.

I don't know what you have on the Coast.
I'm half way between the coast and the Anderson Valley, so I usually go to Ukiah to shop. It's actually closer for me than Fort Bragg, or Mendocino. There is a small quilt shop in Gualala called, "The Loft," and another quilt shop in Fort Bragg. My favorite shop in fort Bragg closed down about a year ago. I agree with you about Beverly's...very hit and miss and the prices are always all over the place. I'll have to look for the other places that you mention the next time I go to the city. Thanks.

~ Cindy
Old 01-29-2016, 12:09 PM

"I agree with you Cindy. Few and far between. My local store is Beverly fabrics and they have some good and some bad so you have to pick through it. There is a store called Bolt in Cloverdale, one called Fabrications in Healdsburg, and Village Fabrics in Santa Rosa. Village just opened shop here but it's small and they don't have as good a selection. I have also heard Fat Quail in Laytonville is good quality but I have never been there."

You should also check out Meissner Sewing. They just recently opened a store in Santa Rosa. Have you heard of them? They have a few locations here in the Sacramento area and carry nice fabric as well as sewing machines.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I agree that it makes sense to use fabric that will hold up.

It is nice to have the luxury of being able to be selective.

Not everyone can afford to buy or has access to "very good/nice" fabrics and so some have to "make do" with what they have.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:15 PM

Another related thought on this topic - when I'm using "good" fabric, I don't want to make too simple of a quilt. It's like I have to get my moneys worth in actually doing the project. My own weird sense of money/time value.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
Another related thought on this topic - when I'm using "good" fabric, I don't want to make too simple of a quilt. It's like I have to get my moneys worth in actually doing the project. My own weird sense of money/time value.
Funny - when I have gorgeous/special fabric - I like to leave the pieces large so I can admire them. :-)
Old 01-29-2016, 12:59 PM

Yes! I totally agree! I rarely if ever do a simple quilt and cannot afford to make them for gifts to various agencies, so when I can make one it has to be a challenge to me and must be of quality fabrics!

Luckily Fabric Depot in Portland, Or and Craft Warehouse in Vancouver, WA are a very do-able trip for me and FD has some of the greatest ever sales almost daily! Like 35% off every thing in the store! Then my oft mentioned cousin will come down and we make one big day of it with my daughter as driver and the best color chooser!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
"You should also check out Meissner Sewing. They just recently opened a store in Santa Rosa. Have you heard of them? They have a few locations here in the Sacramento area and carry nice fabric as well as sewing machines.
I hadn't heard of them, thank you! Another resource is very welcome. I have a hard enough time choosing fabrics and then finding things that all blend well in the same store seems darn near impossible for me!

So far as affording better fabrics or finding them nearby, I will have to drive an hour to get near a larger shop. I don't have the luxury of everything I desire in town. I also will have to watch my pennies. I consider the expense not only for the product but also the entertainment value for the whole time i am working on it. *I could even weigh the cost against therapy!
Old 01-29-2016, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I'm half way between the coast and the Anderson Valley, so I usually go to Ukiah to shop. It's actually closer for me than Fort Bragg, or Mendocino. There is a small quilt shop in Gualala called, "The Loft," and another quilt shop in Fort Bragg. My favorite shop in fort Bragg closed down about a year ago. I agree with you about Beverly's...very hit and miss and the prices are always all over the place. I'll have to look for the other places that you mention the next time I go to the city. Thanks.

~ Cindy
I know the Loft. Nice but small selection of fabric. more known for their wool knitting yarns. I have spent... a bunch.. in there buying yarn for the daughter. She was supposed to make me a scarf... hmmm. I suspect she made one for herself instead. That's OK.. idle hands are the tools of the devil. LOL

tim in san jose
Old 01-29-2016, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by maminstl View Post
Ya. I understand not everyone has access to really good fabric... but nobody says you have to make 50 quilts a year also. Buy less fabric, more complex patterns, show off the skills you have (or don't have yet), and look at the art you produce, not just the handycraft.

I tend to agree with your position that a nice complex patterned quilt shows off the beauty of the fabric within.

That all said, I have always agreed we all quilt for our inner quilt demon, whatever that is.

tim in san jose
Old 01-29-2016, 02:10 PM
Banned

Being on a fixed income I have to watch my pennies. I buy a lot of fabric from thrift stores and yard sales, but I'm a little picky about it. I've gotten most of my fairly large stash this way and some very nice fabrics. When an on line store was going out of business a couple years ago I splurged and bought 40 yds @$2.00 a yd. Should've bought more but the pocketbook said no.
I much prefer Hobby Lobby now to JoAnns. Ever since JoAnns changed some of their sources, a lot more of the fabrics are very thin. Even the employees at my local store think so. I do go to my favorite LQS if Hobby Lobby doesn't have what I need. Mostly now I only buy what I need to go with what I pull from my stash for a particular project.

Cari