Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jacqueline De Jonge Patterns - Any one done one of these? >

Jacqueline De Jonge Patterns - Any one done one of these?

Jacqueline De Jonge Patterns - Any one done one of these?

Old 02-13-2014, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid View Post
no help unless you need moral help!! That is quite a project. I always start with something smaller in a new adventure!! You are brave. Good luck, someone else will come along and give you some pointers I'm sure.

This is the one I've had my eye on.

http://www.alderwoodquilts.com/shopp...?ID=0319306420
Oh I like this one! I have never made one of her patterns before but having been thinking about it and this one does not look as intimidating as some of her other ones. I know the owner of Alderwood Quilts she is a part of my guild and usually see her a couple of times a month I will have to ask her about that pattern and see if she herself has made one and maybe she could be a go to person for me if I venture into trying to make one of these patterns.

Dolphyngyrl I will be curious to see how people compare Jacqueline's pattern to Judy's. I have made one of Judy's and loved it and have several of her other patterns waiting to be made.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:39 AM

I looked up the site and wondered how you paper piece if the paper is not included.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
I looked up the site and wondered how you paper piece if the paper is not included.
The older pattern packs had the patterns in them, you had to trace unto your own foundation paper. The newer ones come with the pp foundations already printed.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:52 PM

This is her site. She is very friendly and helpful,I had a lovely chat with her about her patterns during a quiltshow.
http://www.becolourful.nl/en/index.htm
She was demonstrating her technique, it looked so easy :-), but so far I didn't find enough courage to buy a pattern. Besides, I would have to buy a lot of fabric because all these different colors kind of 'make' the quilt pattern too.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:01 AM

I haven't done any but before I did one check out the foundation papers are included. Just adding those cost 20 dollars more.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:04 AM

No suggestions but did want to wish good luck and happy quilting!
Old 02-15-2014, 06:15 AM

Good luck. I have been drooling over her patterns for several years. I would like to do one of hers or Judy Neimeyers but have been chicken to start. I consider myself to be a pretty experienced paper piecer.
I have been collecting fabric for Judy's mariners compass. I have the pattern and hope to start sometime this year. Both ladies have some amazing patterns. I can't even imagine how they could even design something like that.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:13 AM

I made her "Morning Glory" several years ago. It was the very first paper piecing technique that I had ever even seen. She was at Hancock's of Paducah during the AQS show that year, probably five years ago. I was totally fascinated by the whole process and bought a couple of her patterns. It was a struggle, but is definitely doable. I just looked back at the pattern to see what notes I had scribbled on it, and if she still isn't doing the conversion from metric I went through the whole pattern and did that before beginning...1inch=2.54cm Many times these patterns tell you to cut out and bag everything before starting. I never do as IF you make an error, or IF when you stitch it together you decide it would look better with Fabric 1 and Fabric 2 switched and have chopped everything up you could be an unhappy stitcher. A friend entered it into a smaller local show as I didn't have the courage to do so, and it turned out to be my first blue ribbon...actually, my first ribbon. So, read carefully, trim very carefully, and follow the steps to a "t" until it all becomes second nature for you. I have since done a few more paper piecing and pressing after each seam with one of those handy little clover irons by your side is a great thing to do. Another thing, I like to use a finer thread than usual. At least a 50wt/2ply. I haven't looked at your particular pattern, but if it is not going to be a bed quilt and the piecing is quite small you could go to even an 80wt. The less bulk, the better. Hope some of this helps. Good luck, you can do it!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]462475[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p1030727.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 08:24 AM

Haven't done de Jonge, but have Judy Niemeyer. I have to be in the right state of mind when doing a Niemeyer as they require your full attention. You might take a look at some of Jinny Beyer's. They aren't as complicated, but they are good practice for the intricacies of paper piecing. Whatever you decide, you'll do it!
Old 02-15-2014, 11:26 AM

I just bought Catch Me If You Can and I think I have ALL the fabric I need. The colors really make this quilt. I'm really nervous, but looking forward to it!