Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Janome 1600pdb help >

Janome 1600pdb help

Janome 1600pdb help

Old 08-31-2011, 06:34 AM

I am so frustrated with this machine! I have it set up on a Grace metal frame. I loaded a quilt that the top is cotton cotton batting and a fleece back. I start to quilt stitches skip then the thread breaks after a few inches! I did the usual of tension checks, needle checks, and bars on frame checked. Anyone with other help would keep me from pulling out my hair!!!! Thanks in advance Jan
Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 AM

what size needle are you using? you may have the sandwhich or just the top or bottom too tight, some setups you need to be able to grasp a finger when pushed up from the bottom, not the whole finger but just the tip, you probably need at least a size 16 top stitch needle, what thread are you using/ top and bottom
Old 08-31-2011, 06:41 AM

using a size 16 needle and king tut thread. Jan
Old 08-31-2011, 07:09 AM
Banned

I've been in your shoes with thread breakage problems and it can be so frustrating. There can be so many reasons for this happening. And sometimes the problems just go away, which is equally frustrating.
On my machine, I use a 18 needle with King Tut. And I run my tensions a little looser than normal. If the thread is breaking right at the needle, you might have a needle with a burr. I am told that about 10 percent of sewing machine needles are defective.
Keep you quilt sandwich on the bouncy side. My machine doesn't like it at all if I roll it too tight.
Another tip to try is to strip off about 2 or three yards of thread from the cone and try it again.
I hope this helps.